Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Frugal Flyfisher
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years now I have used an indoor/outdoor casting tool for teaching and winter (indoor) practice, for both overhead and spey demonstrations, cobbled together from a tip section of a two piece single hand rod, fifteen feet of macramé cord and a "leader" section of "just right density" (and really hard to find) polyester yarn.

The idea for this eminently useful teaching/practice tool was dreamed up by Mel Krieger a few years ago as a (vast) improvement over the commercially available all yarn "Fly-O" invented some decades before by the Wulffs (Lee and Joan). However, since Mel never produced it commercially, you had to make your own following Mel's directions, obscurely published in the members only newsletter of FFF Certified Casting Instructors, "The Loop."

No longer.

I got my ECHO Micro Practice Rod (MPR) the other day. From Mel Krieger's idea Tim Rajeff has commercially produced an excellent teaching and casting practice tool with great features and just the right balance of components. Because of it's carefully designed action, casts made with this miniaturized rod feel just like casting a full size rod. For overhead casts it works great indoors or outdoors. Indoors on carpet it works very well for practicing various change of direction spey casts. At my suggestion (on trying out the prototype rods at last fall's AFFTA Denver dealer show), Tim made sure the macramé "line" was long enough to do true spey type casts, when anchoring the yarn "leader" on carpet.

The two piece, four foot graphite rod packs into its own two foot rod tube. It has a comfortable hard foam grip, single foot guides, and an integral tip over butt ferrule. This is not a toy, but an exceedingly useful teaching and practice tool. One of the best features is it's price - just $37 retail.

I believe the Red Shed has some in stock.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Echo Micro Practice Rod

Yah, this little baby rocks. I cast the MPR in the Airflo/Rajeff Sports booth with Tim at a recent fly-fishing show. The carpet in the booth was more than sufficient for an anchor. We could exececute any Spey cast with the little piker--single, double, snake, circle--and fire out a nice clean loop on top of it all. I took one home with me at the end of the show.

I have yet to figure out whether the MPR is a long-belly, Scandi, or Skagit rod. The rod is so good, I'm selling all my other rods and plan to remain indoors from now on in order to eliminate variables such as wind and water. I will, of course, open the front door but only when pizza is delivered.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,195 Posts
I wouldnt go as far as Topher but..........this thing is a blast!!!

·
Whisky Monster
33 Posts
These rods are fun!
Made detachable rear grip using chop-stick, wine cork and bottle cap.
It works great as a two-hander.
All I need now is add some running line and be ready for Spey-O-Rama indoor competition!?!

Attachments

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Nice rear grip

Thanks for posting the pics. I got one of these puppies for my GF's Dr. wannabe speycaster workaholic soninlaw. I'll make him up a rear grip as soon as I finish off a couple bottle of wine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a great time casting this rod in the parking lot of my neighborhood fly shop. We actually replaced the yarn line with a 5wt WF floater and had fun casting up to 50 feet with it. Great learning tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts