Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten to cast the 7wt. Echo Glass Switch rod?
Comments or reviews?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not an ECHO .. but

Have a custom 11' 6/7 glass that Steve Godshall built out for me and if I had to pick 'just one rod' to fish the upper Rogue .. that's it. Very first that goes on the rod rack on the jeep.

Total delight as a fishing tool.

Fred

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, Steve's lines are great but I've never cast one of his rods. Maybe I'll give him a call.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Echo glass

I cast one at an event earlier in the fall but I have not fished with one yet. I also cast the 12'9" Spey version and I have to say that, assuming the rods were lined properly by the rep, the longer rod was much more smooth in it's action. There was also a little concern that the blank may not be a true "glass" rod but rather a graphite base with fiberglass over the top. Kind of confusing but I like the castability of the longer rod. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Glass is what it is.

I cast one at an event earlier in the fall but I have not fished with one yet. I also cast the 12'9" Spey version and I have to say that, assuming the rods were lined properly by the rep, the longer rod was much more smooth in it's action. There was also a little concern that the blank may not be a true "glass" rod but rather a graphite base with fiberglass over the top. Kind of confusing but I like the castability of the longer rod. My 2 cents.
From what I've been able to garner 'on line' a pure glass rod does have its limitations as a building material. From the rods now out there (ECHO comes to mind) 11' appears to about max out the material unless you want a club rather than a fishing rod. My guess is over 11' it, as above, rod is a composite material with both glass and graphite.

fae

·
Registered
134 Posts
comment to thread

I will say this much…Over the last 4 yrs or so, Steve Godshall has made me 4 Rods, all 2 handers. Every one of them are superb instruments, especially when they are matched with a custom line built by Steve. I have also had Steve build me lines for my Burkheimer, ACR, CND and Sage Rods, he has ALWAYS nailed them spot on with his Skandit line series. :D:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts