Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have most of the Echo Glass switch and Spey rods (and some single hand trout rods too) available for Demo at the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club (GGACC) ponds on Saturday Feb 28. I will have the rods on the rack down in front of the club house.

I plan to be at the ponds from around 9 AM until afternoon, when Tim Rajeff will stop by to pick up the rods.

The rods are lined with the appropriate weight Rage heads but you can bring your own lines to cast on them. I plan on testing several of the rods with midbelly lines such as the Ballistic Vector.

I have cast the 7 wt & 8 wt Speys and these rods are definitely not your Dad's (or Grandad's) fiberglass. The rods are not slow and not soft. The recovery is excellent. The 8 wt is very powerful and the 7 wt is slightly faster and casts Skagits with authority. I did not feel that I had to modify my casting stroke in order to cast these rods. Can't wait to try the 6 wt and the switches.

Price point of less than $300 is hard to beat.

See you at the ponds.

Brian Endlich

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was able to cast these fiberglass rods at the Long Beach Casting Club a few weeks ago when Tim Rajeff spent the morning sharing his latest creations.

I cast the 3wt and two 7wts. The 3wt seemed incredibly light and delicate and would take some getting used to, but it rolled out forty to fifty foot casts smoothly and effortlessly. The 7wts (one was a switch and the other was around 13 feet) seemed like excellent rods to me. They, too, were smooth and easy to cast, producing straight casts that unfolded the way you want them to. I'm not a great caster, but either they fit my casting stroke or they were just are easy to cast. I was really impressed.

Plus they look cool with the yellow carmel fiberglass color.

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im very interested in the 8wt, what lines is it best suited for? Im hoping to fling a mid belly dry line with the use of the odd light tip?

they are very pleasing to the eye I must say

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Im very interested in the 8wt, what lines is it best suited for? Im hoping to fling a mid belly dry line with the use of the odd light tip?

they are very pleasing to the eye I must say
I recently bought the 7129 and it is quite fun so far. I have heard fantastic things about the rod paired with a rage but unfortuntately it has been around 15F lately so I spent two days casting the original delta (not the long). I have been holding back my opinion until I had atleast half a dozen days with it on the water but thay wont happen for a while according to the forecast. That being siad here is a mini review and it should be taken into consideration I am quite new to longer lines.

The rod LOVED touch and go casts like the single spey and snake roll. As was stated its recovery speed is on the upper end of medium but on casts with a sustained anchor (double spey/snap T) It performed much slower due to the deep bend in blank that resulted from dragging around 53’ of head. All of my casts took quite a while to dial in because of the relatively loose (I wouldn’t say sloppy) tip and my lack of experience. That is not meant to sound like such a negative comment but rods more resembling the action of a broom stick are much easier to place your anchor point with a longer head. Once dialed in the rod was begging for more line. It was very cold so I tried to keep shooting line to a minimum but shooting 15’ of line with a 3ips or int 12’ poly leader was abolsutely no issue. In the hands of a skilled caster much more would be no probelm and even I could have likely done more.

It should be noted I was casting the 7/8 delta and I am curious to try the 6/7 because the 7/8 felt just a touch heavy but I think that may have just been the deep loading fiberglass talking. I am dying to try the rage and I have a feeling its going to be an absolute cannon with a scandi. I currently have the 450 to try in hopes it will get a bit faster action and tighter loops to deal with windy days. I also have a 480 rage and 510 skagit ready to test out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Bumped into Tim Rajeff at a CA fly shop last week. Had the opportunity to test cast the 7129 (12-9" 7wt) in the parking lot (best option available - not every fly shop can be on a river bank, unfortunately) and the Rage 480 absolutely flew. Tim said that he thought the 510 Rage would probably suit my casting better, but nevertheless, I bought one. Can't wait to try it on the water. Great feeling rod at an awesome price point.

Jim

·
Registered
663 Posts
Where are all the reviews on the glass rods? :confused: You'll are killing me.:whoa:

I want one of the glass switch rods but I have some house remodeling going on right now.

Dan

·
Registered
213 Posts
I really don't need anymore rods, infact I could stand to sell a rod or two, but our big local spey clave is coming up in a month and the thing I am excited most is to cast some of these new echo glass rods. Never really had too much of an interest in fibreglass but for some reason these intrigue me and seem very well priced.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Where are all the reviews on the glass rods? :confused: You'll are killing me.:whoa:

Dan
I spent some time with the 12'4" 6wt and 13' 8wt Saturday at Golden Gate. I really liked the 8. Had the Aero 7/8 on it, faster recovery than I was expecting for glass, no slop in the rod, easy to get crisp clean casts, generally impressed. I think these are super rods for the money.

Thanks Brian for bringing these out.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Casted the 7wt sunday with a 510 compact skagit was a fun rod, not what I expected at all!!! Would love to try a FF 45 on it, next time.

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Spent another day with my 7129 this time casting 480 rage, 450 scandi compact and 510 skagit compact. All very good matches with the exception of the 450 scandi which was just a tad light for me. The 480 rage was the obvious front runner. Overall this is an amazing rod for the money and a fantastic fishing tool. I suggest anyone with doubts throw them out the window

·
Registered
199 Posts
3 wt switch has been a blast, quickly becoming one of my favorite beach rods for cutthroat. Throws a Skagit short 300, tip, and weighted fly effortlessly. Wicked fun to fight fish. Can't wait to skate trout and New Hampshire landlocks in the rivers with it either.

Anybody played with the 6 or 7 switch? I think they could be perfect for swinging river coho . I've only seen info on the 7129.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hei hei,

thats sound good for me with the 3108. i was not sure what to take for my trout spey fishing here in northern norway befor and after the salmonsaison.
300 grain sounds a lot to me for this small #3. thats why i was uncertain i loke to have the #3 or #4.

regards from Oldervik

kevin:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
My lovely girlfriend just got me the 7129 for birthday! I need to get some lines for this sweet stick... I already have a 480 skagit switch to try out, sounds like a 510 or 540 compact will work well too but undecided which one to try, any suggestions? Anyone try a compact intermediate? maybe a 510?

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can never go wrong referring to the Rajeff line chart on their site.
I found them to be spot on particularly with their own rods.

·
Mainah
9 Posts
The 7129 is an absolute blast. I throw a Skagit Short 525 for the big and heavy stuff and a Flight 475 for small to medium flies. The former is a little heavy and seems to bog it down, so will probably pick up a Short 500 to see how that works. I tried a 510 Skagit Compact, but for whatever reason it seemed a little clunky.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts