Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
7 weight Switch

I like mine, but I only used it for an hour. Light, good recovery, jacked some T11 and leech fly very nicely. I ran a 450 skagit switch,

It was to be a summer rod but has winter possibilities in smaller coastal water.

DH

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 7 weight which I cast for at least 6 hours a day on a week long camping trip on the lower Skeena. I caught a ton of fish including a mid 20 lb. steelhead and it performed great! I used a 480 airflo Skagit Switch head, but a 420 works well too.

They are a bit beefier than other rods which is reassuring but are still pretty light.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! I've been looking for a switch rod for winter runs in smaller streams. Sounds like the 7wt can handle it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Switch?

Was that the Switch or Spey? That load seems heavy for the switch rod.

I have a 7 weight which I cast for at least 6 hours a day on a week long camping trip on the lower Skeena. I caught a ton of fish including a mid 20 lb. steelhead and it performed great! I used a 480 airflo Skagit Switch head, but a 420 works well too.

They are a bit beefier than other rods which is reassuring but are still pretty light.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I meant the switch. Per Airflo, the 420 head matches the 7 wt and the 480 matchs the 8 wt. A fly shop guy recommended the 480 head because it would cover windy conditions, so I bought it. I now have both heads for my 7 wt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
8wt

The echo 3 8wt is the third and least expensive 8 wt switch I've owned. By far the easiest and most fun rod to fish both out of the boat and swinging on small coastal rivers. One of those rods that goes on every trip.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Echo 3 8 Weight

Hey Ken,

I got the 8 weight this winter. Definitely debated going for the seven, but decided I wanted the ability to cast larger flies. I love the rod. I can cast it as far as my spey (maybe it just matches my casting stroke better?).

I have also caught a number of Bulls with it and they were still a ton of fun on the rod.

I use both a 480 and a 510.

Later,
Josh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Josh,
I think I will go with that 8-weight switch. I have the Echo 3 8-weight spey and love the way it casts, great for Skagit and Hoh sized rivers, but wanted to go with something a little shorter for streams like the Hoko or North Fork Stilli.
Hope you've been catching fish again this winter, I hear your uncle Chris has been getting into them.
Ken

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
I don't own an echo3 Double hander but I think they are some of the most underated DH's out there. For the low cost they are very high on performance. I've fished the 8110 and the 7130 extensively and I have to say, they flex and cast very similar to my 8110 & 7136 Z-Axis rods. I liked the 450 scandi, 480 rage and 510 skagit compact on both the 7130 and 8110 echo 3 rods. The 6/7 and 7/8 delta mid belly was great of the 7130, also I liked the 480 skagit switch on the 8110 a lot, that thing chucked 10ft airflo t-11 FLO tips and 4-5 inch intruders like a boss. The echo 3 switch rods are mean skagit rods, and equally deadly scandi tools, great all around products. The nice thing about the 8110 is it will handle any combo of tips and big Uglys you can throw it, great all around stick. I'm a big fan of 8wt. Switch rods, they bring in the fish faster and leverage them hard due to the short length, it's healthier for the fish. In 1000cfs a 15lb steelhead will still put up a hell of a figh to the 8110, I've never felt overgunned with it.

Craftsmanship wise, they may not appear to be the nicest looking, or quality to the naked eye, and I wonder if this adds to the seamingly smaller following for echo 3 blanks, but again, huge on performance in my experience and I'm a big Sage user.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts