·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for posting LWD.

Makes you wonder about the usefulness of the rod line weight designations:

TS 3110 #3 210-270 grains
TR 3110 #3 270-330
SR 3106 #3 150-210

They are all "3 weights" but none of the grain windows overlap.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't catch that but it doesn't surprise me. After I ordered my TR 11' 3wt, I looked at Echo's then-current recommendations, which seemed heavy to me. I called three shops. Recommendations were all over the place, with two of the shops saying that Echo's recommendation often are on the heavy side. I decided to try the rod with the 225gr OPST head and 60gr 7.5' tips that I already had. Having fooled around with it quite a bit, my opinion is that the 225gr head and the 60gr tips are a perfectly serviceable combination for SAS casts, which isn't surprising given that OPST recommend a 200gr Commando with the 80gr 10'tips, a difference of only 5gr.

As I prefer T&G casts, I've started looking for scandi heads. The German shop AdH Fishing, which sells and was familiar with the TR 11' 3wt, recommended a Guideline ULS 3D+ in 247gr. I've decided to order one of the ULS heads in the 247gr and 278gr versions as know that I will be able to use the 278gr head on the Salmologic single-hander that I have. I''l try to remember to post something after I've had a chance to test the heads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts