Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been honing my spey (single handed) skills on the EC Hickory Shad run in the Mid-Atlantic. Nothing beats spring in Maryland when the Hickories are running (except a good June in Gaspe).

Check out the Shad Cam on the James River in VA. Looks to be peaking in VA and MD is having a good run so far. Small two handers are good for the American Shad on the Susquehanna if you can brave the current. Shad Cam is most active in the morning, plenty of eels at night though.

I also included a good article on a recent dam removal that has allowed the shad to get above Fredricksburg. Nice to see them up there.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/shad/

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/newsroom/pr-041404-Shad.html

-Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
It so nice to hear of habbitat getting restored and fish returning. Why are they called "hickories"? They run in the colombia river a couple hours from my house maybe I should go try to catch them. Were there or are there any salmon in those Maryland rivers?
Thanks
spiny

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spinyray, no Salmon in Maryland that I know of. I don't think they ever go much farther south than the Connecticut River.

The shad that you have out west are what we call "white" or American shad. They'll run you 4-6 pounds or better on a good one. They're a little more bottom hugging than the smaller ones but hit pleny hard. Hickory Shad are smaller, 1-3 lbs, 16-20" but are much more surface oriented and get airborne when hooked and love to smash the fly. The whites tend to stay down more. I fish with a small 2 hander and a tip, #6 chartuese chenille "whatever" fly on the Susquehanna for whites. I highly recommend them if you get the chance.

When I moved here from Western NY 10 years ago the restoration projects were under way and it's nice to see results along with a blown dam. From what the locals have told me was that fishing for Hickories was "real fishin'". If you're into numbers you can catch a ton of them in a day and the rivers are really full of fish (like sockeye in Alaska). I'm not so into that anymore so I like to change techniques, fast swing, slow swing, even tried a few dries, just to see what will work. If you're ever in DC for the Cherry Blossoms (April 1 and on) bring your 5 wt and some orange dubbing wrapped on a bead head #8. Mothers Day is prime time.

Charlie, I'll see you and your bottle of Oban at the Fort in Gaspe. I'll be bringing my Balvenie and some shiney new flies. I've been to overworked to tie my own this year so I've outsourced to Marc LeBlanc and Jerome Molloy (and so goes my bonus). Looking forward to fishing both of their flies and the few I can "steal" from your box. More via email.

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts