Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to warn folks about a fake ebay listing for a Bogdan reel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bogdan-Salmon-Fly-Reel-Model-50-MINT-/390617104289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af297ffa1

The scammer's MO is to hijack the ebay account of an otherwise reputable seller and then post a bunch of very expensive items (including the Bogdan reel and a Vom Hofe reel), with every item offered for the buy-it-now price of $2500. Only he or she doesn't use the buy-it-now link in the listing - rather you are supposed to email the seller directly to arrange for payment. When the scammer listed the same reel last week under another account, I emailed that I was interested in the reel and asked to pay with paypal (the safe way). The scammer responded that he or she would only accept payment via bank wire transfer - to a bank in the UK! That was an obvious tip-off that this was a scam.

·
loco alto!
2,972 Posts
sorry, but Paypal is not always the safe way in these transactions.

I ran into a similar situation on eBay some years ago, paid via Paypal to an overseas account (Asia). Money taken, no item sent. Someone had hacked a good eBay account and was stealing the money via Paypal account overseas.

Neither Paypal nor eBay would do anything because they claimed that an overseas Paypal account was beyond their control (?). I pressed over a period of years and eventually Paypal refunded most of my money. It was a major PITA. A gaggle of scumbags.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, but Paypal is not always the safe way in these transactions.

I ran into a similar situation on eBay some years ago, paid via Paypal to an overseas account (Asia). Money taken, no item sent. Someone had hacked a good eBay account and was stealing the money via Paypal account overseas.

Neither Paypal nor eBay would do anything because they claimed that an overseas Paypal account was beyond their control (?). I pressed over a period of years and eventually Paypal refunded most of my money. It was a major PITA. A gaggle of scumbags.
Fair point!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts