Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The three Skagiteers - Mike McCune, Scott O, and myself - are contemplating a short "tour" next May of the East/Midwest area of the States. The goal for us would be to check out the level of interest for Skagit casting AND to experience some new places/rivers/fisheries. Our preliminary thoughts at this time are conducting demos/classes/instruction on two consecutive weekends at two differing locations - one that would cater to the Wisconsin/Illinois/Michigan area, and one that would be central to an Ohio/New York contingent - most likely occurring in the time frame of May 1st through May 16th. Thoughts?!

·
"Cookie Monster"
175 Posts
Being Selfish

For once I must agree with J.D. . Your presence would be missed at the Sandy River Spey Clave. The three of you represent a wealth of knowledge that will be missed.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
How much

Single Malt do we have to put up to keep these guys here for the Sandy Clave?

·
Registered
332 Posts
FWIW the Salmon River in New York has hosted claves and seems to give people from New England and others a shot at attending. Western NY is just that much farther for many. I'm selfish here as well being only three hours away. I'm sure you would be receive a warm audience wherever you decide to set up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'd travel to see you.

It's growing in West Michigan, and the Muskegon would be a good site.
Seems to me Riveraddict hails from here, and I've studied pretty closely for a long time. I'd drive to meet up with you guys.

Carl

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would definitely be interested . You may want to reach out to Drew at Tight Lines ( board sponsor) He may be able to help you draw up some intrest on something like this in the north east.

·
Scandi & Skagit Hack
319 Posts
Very cool idea. I think you would have a pretty good turnout in Michigan. I would definately attend.

Tight Loop & Long Lines,
thegreatscout

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
If one is interested in skagji casting...

it's very worthwhile to travel a great distance to see these guys in action. All three are amazing casters and have a lot of great info to share.

·
Lucky Bastard
712 Posts
Salmon River NY

Got to love that.The Salmon is a great place for just such an event.Long rods have been growing at a fast clip here.Ive been at it about a year and a half and have seen the number grow in that short of time.Cars in the lots today from every state north of Virginia. Was on the river for 10 hrs today!!I'm sure many would not think twice about the trip in the "off" season.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We would love to have you guys out this way for sure. If you could delay your trip until June 20th, you can hit our Clave on the Salmon River. But no matter what the date, I can guarantee that your classes will be filled before you pack the truck for the long trip out East!

-Zack

·
Lucky Bastard
712 Posts
That would make one hell of a weekend Zack!

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Yeah I would Love to see you three Cast and do demo's Michigan ohio NY where ever. the St joe has A few good places to hold mini Claves and that time there will be a few Summer runs already. you guys just say when and were and ill be there.

Rambo

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't mean to highjack this thread but in my humble opinion I think the spey nation clave would be more successful if not held on fathers day.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the responses!

The viable dates for us would most likely be two consecutive weekends out of the following: May 1 and 2, May 8 and 9, May 15 and 16. Later dates are out because it then becomes too close to that time when each of us is prepping for our Alaska season.

Ideally, this is something that needs to be presented as a "joint venture" between us and a shop or group of "Spey Junkies" experienced at organizing events and willing to conduct legwork on several fronts for us. We envision, at this time, a weekend wherein the first day (Saturday) would be a Skagit Casting Clave type of gathering, with casting demos and "social meet&greet BS sessions", and hopefully participation of some rod/line companies. The second day (Sunday), would be reserved for some sort of formal casting class or classes (we have to pay for this trip somehow!). So, if you've got an idea on where/who/why, send me a PM on the specifics.

Also, keep in mind that a big part of this for us is to see/do something new - in other words, FISH new waters! We love steelhead, but are also open to trying anything that can be swung up in moving water.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spey Clave NE

The past two summers the Spey Nation has held successful gatherings on the Salmon River in June with well over 100 people attending. Lots of interest in the NE for these events . Perhaps an arrangement could be made to accommodate your schedule ? I would drive from NH to attend. jeffp

·
Registered
145 Posts
This would be an opportunity for the Great Lakes guys to see and practice some of the PNW techniques. We could hold it at Henning Park on the Muskegon and with the backing of Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company, this could become a reality.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yikes!!!

Once again, thanks for the responses! Please be patient on my getting back to you all on this... lots of stuff to process now! I have to confer with my cohorts on this and we are at this time pretty well scattered throughout the PNW (from NoCal up to NW Washington). Salmon River, New York - you'se guys are seriously motivated!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts