Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just relocated from the PNW to South-central Pennsylvania. I spent most of my time swinging flies for steelhead, not casting dries to rising fish. Does anyone know of some rivers/ creeks in the Pennsylvania area that have suitable swing water? Any suggestions for steelhead, salmon, and trout would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Northwest pennsylvania and northeast Ohio have quite possibly the highest concentration of steelhead rivers anywhere. They're lake run fish, but we all call them steelhead and that's not an argument that I'm getting into. New York also has quite a few steelhead and salmon opportunities.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just relocated from the PNW to South-central Pennsylvania. I spent most of my time swinging flies for steelhead, not casting dries to rising fish. Does anyone know of some rivers/ creeks in the Pennsylvania area that have suitable swing water? Any suggestions for steelhead, salmon, and trout would be helpful. Thanks
While Canadian Atlantic salmon fishing isn't something for every weekend, you are about 10 hours away from the various lodges along the Miramichi. Country Haven and Wilsons are just two of a half dozen good choices along the river. The big early-run chromers will be just starting in the next week or so, prime time is the first three weeks of July, and then the fall run begins the second week in September and runs to mid October. This is the finest fly-swinging in the East.

You can keep in touch with Atlantic salmon fishing in the Maritimes by checking the blog portion of my website at www.bradburnsfishing.com.

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
10 hours from south PA is a bit generous -- its more like 15+ hours to Miramichi (depending on where in south PA). That is the closest Maritime salmon fishing, though. Gaspe is another 3-5 hours, depending, from that. All doable driving, but certainly not as a weekend trip.

There are some good river to swing for steelhead in the winter in PA and New York. They can certainly be a ****show in terms of angler experience, but at times they can be quite nice, as well.

There are ample smallmouth bass (and other warmwater species) opportunities around which are conducive to swinging flies if thats really what you want. Narrowing down 'South-central Pennsylvania' would help with suggestions. The Susquehanna can be good for smallies and thats a huge river. Plenty of smaller ones, as well.

·
flysdwn
18 Posts
Pennsyltucky

Try out the Youghiogheny (SW PA/MD). Or make your way up to the Allengeny National Forest (NC PA). Fall in NE PA on the Lackawaxen can be hoot for big Delaware run browns coming back to spawn, swing streamers, big fish. As far as Steelhead, as the others have said Lake Erie tribs, and Lake Ontario tribs in NY. If you like the Salt, hitting the Ocean (MA/CT/NJ/DE) in the Fall for Stripers, and the Bay in the Spring with a switch rod is a blast. I grew up in NE PA and did both my undergrad and grad work in South Central PA. You are surrounded by some storied water there, pick up a 4wt, hit a trico hatch. You wont be disappointed!

·
Registered
171 Posts
you also have the Michigan rivers, Muskegon, Manistee and Pere Marquette etc about 10/11 hours drive for steel and salmon in both summer and winter.

your closest water is likely Elk Creek in OH or Six Mile creek etc

check out PA Flyfishing, they will lend a hand. I am GeeBee on there as i live in SE PA now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good replies. To narrow down, I live in York county, in the booming metropolis of Spring Grove. I'm making a trip to the finger lakes region, NY in October for a wedding, that'll put me closer to some pretty good steelhead fishing. More updates to follow. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts