Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A UK fellow asked me about the use of flys tied long enough to resemble earth worms/night crawlers. Had to say I didn't know; small ones like a San Juan worm .. but a 4-6 inch 'night crawler?'

Anyone tie up/use something like this? (A very thin intruder?:cool: )

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
They don't have string leeches down where you are Fred?

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
the MOAL, string, or sparse articulated leech are all wormy. Fred may not have them, but I've slinked a few through his waters :devil:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Philster said:
They don't have string leeches down where you are Fred?
Initially I'd have to say no we don't ... or more to the point, nothing called a 'string leech' rings a bell. Actually not aware of leechs in any of our waters; doesn't mean we don't have them, no idea where you'd find them.

Off to google to input 'string leeches+fly fishing.'
:>)

Geeze, this is going to take a while! 71,000 hits.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Fred,
Here are some pretty complete tying instructions for a MOAL

washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=23943&highlight=moal

Chris

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Fred,

I posted some photos quite some time ago on the board of the MOAL (Mother of All Leeches) I tied up - up to 8" long - they are by no means a joy to cast!!! This fly was written up in Northwest Fly Fishing several issues ago

Also read an aricle in one of the magazines of a guy actually using rubber worms on a fly rod very effectively - I have yet to go there!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
chances are...

you do have leeches in your waters. they might not be big, but probably still there. if you "whack" a hatchery fish after the water has gotten low and they're holding, check it's gills. that's where i find most of the leeches on salmon/steelhead. mostly little guys that are well under an inch long.

a plain jane string leech is WAY easier to tie than a furgus moal (but i like the looks of the moal ALOT better). it's also a pain to get a dual colored string leech.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Rabbit fur worms

Fred I have good luck fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder for winter Steelies with a fly that looks and act like a rubber worm but is tied with rabbit fur. I tie the fly on a brass tube 3/4 inch long and use Zonker strip rabbit for the tail length 2 to 8 inches. Above the tail I tie in a contrasting colour of cross cut Rabbit fur and take two or three wraps and that is it. Tie in colours that match the rubber worms the gear fishermen are using. Quick easy tie that can bring savage strikes.

Ian

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
nope!,they DO exist!

i believe it was last spring when the topic went `round here about the rubber worms ? since then i have seen two dif. `earthworm' `flies',, tied using chenniel that has had the ends singed with a cig lighter,tied to the hook shank with a wt. affixed `there'where it's tied(i believe that's the `bump' on a real worm),,bullet wt. =?, i can't remember the exact wt.,but that doesn't matter anyway,,my thoughts are the same as using an egg pattern,unless you're fishing directly in close around spawning fish,why not use real eggs?,the whole thing about `bait' is the scent! not the action of the presentation,,now i've joked about rubber worms with a two-hander and it could happen!,no actual plans,but the rubber worms must have a great action under water,,much like a rubber leg stonefly;) ,tied with a plastic chenniel body of course:hihi: ,in my quite narrow minded opinion=what's the difference?,and don't ask `with an indie or not':chuckle: :tsk_tsk: ;),,,EDIT!,i should take back what i said about `action' because when fishing for spring chinook a very succesful `setup' on the Rogue is an anchovie `set to spin',looks like a wounded,thus=easy meal for pacific salmon moving thru,so in that context,yes!,the `sight' does work,but drifting a `fly' thru a run or riffle is way different than anchored up with a lead cannonball holding your offerring down and waiting,so,flame away!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
here you go!

here's the site with the magic worm pattern:tsk_tsk: =`dubbyadubbyadubbyaflytyingworld.com/,or .com./',you'll have to go it alone and do a search,,,but it's there=`pink worm',tied by Fred Bridge=,mercy!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Rick! Your post went right under my radar. Few years back you and I were doing some summer run fishing below Tou Velle Park (at Highbanks) and you hooked/released three "B" runs .. before I even got my rod unstrung.

(No kidding, it was pathetic ... I stood there most of the day and watched you hook more ... I didn't even get a sniff:eek: ) Remember the fly you were using was a long 'dark green' colour. Off the end of your sink tip, down the gut of the cut it was deadly.:saeek:

·
JD
3,641 Posts
worm flies

Hey Fred,

I remember giving you a pink (I think it was pink) worm fly the first time I met you at the Sandy Clave. Check the fly shop in Ashland. They have some articulated leeches.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim, Joan doesn't allow me to go in there 'armed' with a credit card.:tsk_tsk:

Thank God there's a Umpqua Bank cash machine a couple of blocks away.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts