Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fly Fishing Newbie
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a beginner and looking into a Eagle Claw Graphite Im6 rod, any1 have any bad/good stories with it. I wanna do some trout- to even very salt water fly fishing but lets say trout- bass mostly so id get a 6/7 weight rod is this a good idea, can like almost all reels fit?

thanks for the help

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Eagle Claw

Eagle Claw? I haven't seen an Eagle Claw flyrod since Western Auto went under. Do they still make them?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I'm not sure; but I don't think Eagle Claw has marketed fly rods for several years. The ones that they used to market were not very good though. As some folks have said before, you would be better off getting a St. Croix, Redington, Temple Fork Outfitters, or even Cabella's rod because they are far better quality and you won't outgrow them for a few years, if then.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Cabelas

All the rods mentioned in the last post are good. Far and away better than Eagle Claw. Of the lot, I would lean towards Cabelas, unless a local fly shop is carrying one of the other brands.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
granger

i did recently,,,,while trying,,,,to help someone who posted a similar question here,stumble onto some rods,,,eagle claw Granger,,,they sold for 39 bucks,,,had a 35 dollar reelseat on them :confused: ,but;the lower handle was missing :chuckle:

·
Fly Fishing Newbie
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oo well um im not setting out to spend like a ton on a rod ill use mayb 1-2 times a year

im a newb to fly fishign and know eagle claw rods are still being made.

theres also a remington not redington im looking into

any1 know stuff about reels??
if so IM me on Jeff6tu13 or pm me

im looking for a beginner reeel like iaid i dont wanna spend to much as for i might not ever use it

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Since you don't want to spend much on a fly rod, reel, and line, you would be best served by going to your local Wal-Mart (or other large bib-box discount chain store) and picking up one of the cheap Scientific Angler's or Pfleuger fly fishing outfits. These are between $45.00 and $90.00 and are complete with rod, reel, line, leader, and a small "intruction pamplet". They are poor quality rods, don't cast all that well, and you will outgrow them very quickly; however, they don't cost much money, are ballanced outfits with the right size line for the rod included in the package, and have everything you need in one package for less than $100.00.

·
Fly Fishing Newbie
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the reel matter much, i mean what about a martin 61 reel or a caddis creek c65 reel?

ne of these decent for what ill use em not much

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sure these two reels could work. After all, the only thing the reel needs to do is hold the fly line and some backing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts