Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Dyna-King Barracuda Indexer model?

I recently purchased one,which for the most part is working great,but I am having a problem with adjusting the Index screw.I have emailed Dyna King but have not had a reply yet.

Mine seems to be set on a fixed setting,with the gold knob(the larger barrel shaped one) not being attached to the actual threaded screw in any way.Because the knob is not actually attached to the threaded rod that adjusts the tension,it can not actually turn it.:confused: All the other screws have the gold knob welded on to the threaded rod,but the Index screw on my vice is hollow,with a threaded inside,and then simply threaded on to the rod,with nothing actually holding it on to it.Is this supposed to be this way or am I missing something?:confused:

If I turn the knob,the knob will unwind all the way(falling off in my hand),leaving the rod stuck in the vice(so it doesn't actually turn the rod itself),and if I try to tighten it,the knob will simply tighten up against the bottom of the vice,again without actually turning the rod itself,so it is not actually adjusting anything.The tension of the Index feature never changes and on my vice it seems that the gold knob is doing nothing but covering the Index screw for cosmetic reasons.If I want to actually adjust the screw to lessen the tension or turn the Index feature off,I have to remove the gold knob completely,and then grab the threaded screw by the bolt itself and turn that,getting grease on my fingers.:Eyecrazy:

Does anyone know if this screw is supposed to be adjustable or not,or if the vice is set with the Index feature on,and meant to be on a certain setting all the time?

If anyone out there has this vice,or has used one before,do you know if the gold knob on the Index screw is supposed to be like mine,or is it supposed to be fused to the threaded rod like all the other screws on the vice?If it is supposed to be hollow and threaded on to the rod like mine,is there supposed to be something(another small allen screw or something I may be missing) holding it on to the threaded rod so it can grip it and turn it?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Enjoy your new vice Tony. I've got no experience with that one but a quick call should answer your question, doubt the toll free works for us but at least they list both.

Dyna-King, Inc.
70 Industrial Dr.
Cloverdale, CA 95425 USA

(707) 894-5566
(800) 396-2546
(707) 894-5990 (fax)

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Call in the morning between 10 and noon and ask for Ron Abby. He is the inventor and maker. He is also one of the nicest people you will ever deal with and will get you sorted out to your satisfaction without a hassle. With Dyna-King you not only purchase a great product you have tremendous support for that product.

Regards,

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.Unfortunately phoning them is very difficult for me because of my sleep schedule(up all night & sleep all day due to health reasons),so I tend to rely on email after normal working hours.

I got an email from Dyna King yesterday(I guess they sent a reply right away but I never got it for some reason,but they replied to my second email) and was told to send them the Index screw for replacement,which I will probably do in the next couple of days.Fortunately removing this screw doesn't impact the function of the vice in any way,other than no longer stopping at 8 set points when rotated,so the vice will operate like a regular Barracuda until I get a new screw.

The quality of the vice is impressive to say the least,and it's extremely smooth and easy to use,with the exception of the Index screw I have,LOL.I was kind of hoping someone here had used this vice before so they could tell me what the screw should look and function like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,I got an email from Dyna King yesterday saying that it sounded like I was missing a tiny allen screw that fit inside the Index Screw and that they would send one out right away.I was quite pleased to find that it arrived today(talk about FAST) and did the job perfectly!

Once they were able to decifer my overly detailed email and get an idea of the problem,they took care of it faster than I could have ever hoped!Can't say enough good things about the customer service I recieved from them,as well as the quality of this vice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Dyna-King Barracuda Indexer model?
Thanks for the help.
Hi. I have one. Love it. I had the same learing curve. Talked to Ron Abby about the feature. I had it wrong like you. The indexer knob is a set and forget knob. Leave it alone. It is not an adjustment. The only adjustment neaded is the rotation friction knob.

So get the indexer back in there and set it so it clicks and then forget it. Just use the other knob to set turning friction.

Also-keep the thing clean in that the end play can allow thread and flash strips to get in the bearings. Make sure you check for that.

I have been using mine now for around two years or more and it works very well indeed. helps me tye better looking flies. I had to learn to set and forget. The presence of a knob makes one tend to turn it-don't it ? :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi. I have one. Love it. I had the same learing curve. Talked to Ron Abby about the feature. I had it wrong like you. The indexer knob is a set and forget knob. Leave it alone. It is not an adjustment. The only adjustment neaded is the rotation friction knob.

So get the indexer back in there and set it so it clicks and then forget it. Just use the other knob to set turning friction.

Also-keep the thing clean in that the end play can allow thread and flash strips to get in the bearings. Make sure you check for that.

I have been using mine now for around two years or more and it works very well indeed. helps me tye better looking flies. I had to learn to set and forget. The presence of a knob makes one tend to turn it-don't it ? :D

Actually,I DIDN'T have it wrong.I was missing a small allen screw that fits inside the Index Knob and holds the knob on to the actual Index Screw.

It almost sounds like you have your vice set up the way mine was before I fixed it.:confused: I'm not sure why anyone would tell you that it can't be adjusted when it obviously can?

When I described my situation to the Dyna King rep I was told that it sounded like I was missing a little allen screw,and sure enough,that turned out to be the case.With this allen screw,the Index Screw CAN be adjusted so you can turn the indexing feature on or you can turn it all the way off if you want(why else would they even put a big knob there to begin with if it wasn't meant to be adjusted at all?).You can also vary the amount of tension it has in between,in conjuction with the rotation friction knob.

After I inserted the missing allen screw into the end of the gold knob,threaded the knob over the Index screw and tightened it all up,it worked great.I can use it with the Index feature on,so that it clicks as it turns and it stops at 8 different positions,or by unwinding the screw,I can turn the Index feature off completely so that there are no clicks at all and the vice runs completely smooth and silent,the same as a regular Barracuda.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Actually,I DIDN'T have it wrong.
Ha! I knew when i typed that that there would be heat. Sorry.

Anyways, The Indexer knob is an on-off knob. I should have said that you either have it in indexer mode, or off; but that you don't get any adjustment in the indexer mode by fiddling with the knob. You can't adjust the click threshold. I originally thought you could. Once Ron explained the beast's workings it has been purring like a lamb. It is a gem of a vise.

I had one of the first ones sold commercially I believe. I had them put the Brass wheel (as seen on the Ron Abby Signature Model) on mine instead of the handle. I never take it out of indexer mode-so for me at least-it is set and forget.

Happy Tying on yours!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.