Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great trip up with the Salmon River two weeks ago.. Quite a few fish ..some great pulls ...Lotta nice fish landed.. I saw quite a few dead fish but I didn't give it a second thought as the goons never release their fish very well.. Sad but true fact... This past trip Sunday Monday Tuesday was very disappointing... From both a fishing/catching perspective... Who am I kidding the fishing was great there was nobody on the river... One hook up in three days so the catch was slow
But the really depressing thing was the numbers of dead fish that I witnessed or dying fish... They were floating downriver trying to write themselves with their tails out of the water and in the back eddies nosing around like tailing permit but dying.. What the **** is going on up there?
I easily saw 60 Dead/dying fish in three days.... A friend who lives up there says this is been going on for a month.. Conservative math puts this at 6 to 8000 fish dead
I saw some people netting dead fish for studying purposes
I hope this issue gets the attention it deserves

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sad

Was right there stepping down with David, it truly was a sad sight to see! All these 12-15-18 lb fish big beautiful floating upright suffering trying to stay alive! We almost felt bad Fishing for them. Makes you kind of wonder if there was any player fish even around?? This is truly devastating ! This is our only fishery, or what's left of it. Man I hope it's nothing too serious and the remaining fish can survive to spawn!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Was there in early November and saw a few smallish (6 lb) fish in death throes, but assumed that they were (illegal) culls from the non catch and release crowd. I would think that if the angler was keeping fish, a 12-15lb fish would not be culled. So I have to reassess my assumption and believe that there is something wrong. Hope the guys studying it figure it out quickly.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
What fish were floating down stream, salmon? They are suposed to die. Trout are a different story. Browns, steelhead what were they?

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saw the same thing over Thanksgiving. One forum said that some of these fish have gill lice which is the result of low water throughout the fall? I didn't get a chance to peek at any of their gills but like many have you said there are a lot of struggling fish. I'll try and find that forum post. Hope they can figure it out.

Nock these were healthy looking steelhead

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a hard enough time seeing them being hauled out of the water by the GOONS raking hooks across their backs, I would hate to see them just foating by belly up.

Mike

·
Registered
576 Posts
Steelhead

What fish were floating down stream, salmon? They are suposed to die. Trout are a different story. Browns, steelhead what were they?

Mike
All steelhead that's the strange thing, none of the other fish in the system are sick/dying. This was one of many, this fish was over 15 lb easily

Attachments

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Can the local agencies not define the reason

they must be aware of it.. very sad

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes a friend of mine told me about it. I dsmissed him and said it's probably angler mortaility however I was there last week and NOBODY was catching. There was a realtively steady stream of such dying fish - too many for angler mortality...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pre-spawn mortality is becoming fairly common for coho in streams in Puget Sound, likely caused by a nasty cocktail of metals, fertilizers and pesticides that get mixed into the rivers/creeks during storms. Google "pre spawn mortality" for coho salmon and you will find lots of results.

·
Registered
301 Posts
David1123

Is there any fracking in the area. If so maybe some of the toxic chemicals they use are seeping into the river though the ground water.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Has anyone here contacted DEC for comment or explanation?

Jim

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was going to make a post about this too. I saw atleast 20 dead/dying steelhead in two days of being there a couple weeks ago. Fished middle upper and lower sections of the river and saw them everywhere, mostly 10 plus pound fish. Also saw a dead brown. My assumption was imoroper fish handling. I also saw guys overplaying fish in ankle deep water which is not good too. I asked someone and they said something about stuff growing on the rocks and such low water.. Id like to know the main cause.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I contacted Scott Prindle the Biologist in charge of the Salmon River a few days ago about this issue and received this response back:

"Paul,

There have been steelhead acting strangely and dying for several weeks now. We sent an initial sample to Cornell University Vet School to see if was being
caused by a disease, virus or parasite. They found nothing conclusive on those
fish.

We think it may be related to thiamine levels in the fish. Similar observations
have been made in other Great Lakes in the past. Last week we captured several fish and took muscle and liver samples to be sent off to a Federal Fish Health lab to determine their thiamine levels. Additionally we are holding some fish in a pen at the hatchery that are acting sick and have injected them with a thiamine solution. This has worked in the past to revive fish that were
suffering from thiamine deficiency.

Unfortunately while we may be able to determine that thiamine is the culprit,
there is not much that can be done from a practical standpoint.

I'll let you know what we hear from the Feds.

Scott "

·
Registered
37 Posts
And waterfowl...

Very depressing stuff. I was there about 3 weeks ago and fished around Pineville with a few other anglers. We witnessed about 20-25 dead waterfowl washed up on the side of the river in addition to many dying fish. We also noticed that there weren't any living birds in the river with the exception of a few seagulls. Very alarming. I've heard many theories from other fisherman ranging from gill lice to run off from dairy farms and water quality issues.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Very depressing stuff. I was there about 3 weeks ago and fished around Pineville with a few other anglers. We witnessed about 20-25 dead waterfowl washed up on the side of the river in addition to many dying fish. We also noticed that there weren't any living birds in the river with the exception of a few seagulls. Very alarming. I've heard many theories from other fisherman ranging from gill lice to run off from dairy farms and water quality issues.
Every time I read this thread I get more depressed. I saw lots of seagulls (the normal amount), and just one hawk, while fishing there the first 2 weeks of November. Hard to believe that the gull population is taking a hit too. Very alarming.

Jim

1 - 20 of 44 Posts