Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to dye my Long delta and triangle taper lines so that I can tell where the head ends.

Here are the instructions

1. Take a small piece of heat shink tubing. You want the size that will just fit over the runing line. Do not heat the tubing unless you want it permanently on the line. Slide this up the line until it stops. This is the end of the runing line and the beginning of the rear taper.

2. mix one package of Rit dye and 1/2 cup of salt in a plastic tub. I used a left over large whipped cream tub. Make the water as hot as you can without boiling it. Boiling water will damage you line. Dont ask how I know this, just dont make it that hot. coil the line up to the heat shink and put in tub. Let set until it is the color you want. This doesnt take long. It will only take 5 - 5 minutes. I used Navy blue on my TT and it came out a grey. On my Long delta it came out dark blue. Just watch it until its a color you can live with.

3. Wash with a small amount of dish detergent. Rinse well and dry. Remove the piece of heat shrink tubing Coat with a small amount of floatant and spool it back on your reel. Now its just like one of the fancy two color lines.

4. go have fun with your new custom colored line. Make all your friends jealous.
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i want purple!

gee,remember the `surfer shirts' from the sixties?,,used to by black ones,die em' purple,,for those ,,uh,,,younger than fifty,,these came out black/purple horizontal stripes,,what,,,3-4 inches wide,, maybe i'd better kick that `cruisin'the oldies' CD outa' there huh???? hotrods might start having wheels on em' again!,, ;)

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Hammer...

I don't know what beach you were on but in the 60's all the surfers I knew (a lot) from Dego to Malibu wore those heavy white TownCraft pocket T's. It's to bad the "bean counters" decided to stop making them. Compared to those shirts the cheap imitations that carry the TownCraft brand now aren't fit to clean your reel with. "Surfs up dude!"
PS, Leave the "golden Oldies" alone.:smokin:

As to Skilly's line dying method. I saw some of his handiwork and it looked quite nice. Take care, MJC

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shirts

Mike & Hammer

Cal Trans bought all those shirts up. Then had the pocket
re-sewn with the open part down.
That was to hold the shovels hands free.:devil: :devil:
Then they could hold their coffee cup and smoke at the same time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
now i know!

what happenned to em',,i had my wife buy me some `towncraft',,and,,they are pitiful,,the beach i was on was just below table rock,,right below TuVelle Park,down from the moto-cross track i use to do faceplants at,you know,,where the kids hang now:hehe: :hehe: ;) can't you just mark the backtaper with feltpens like us `oldtimers'?,,for those southern oregon sundowns;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hammer

Eyes got so bad couldnt see that spot in the dawn or poor light. Now its easy. kids can see those little marks, us older gentelmen need a better way.

Besides I am boored

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sight or Touch

The color change on the lines is nice, but under many conditions, its still hard to see and you still have to look at it. Instead, I prefer to tie a couple of small nail knots in the line right where I pinch the line for the sweet spot. That way I can fee where to stop stripping and don't have to look. (I can remain staring off into space like usual.) In the past I've used 20 or 25lb amnesia. It did not hang up in the guides or have any negative side effects, but it did prove to be a little abrasive on my stripping finger if I was in a hurry. Next time I'll probably use 15lb Maxima so the "bumps" are a little smaller.

This isn't a new idea, I think the Rio brochure used to recommend it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

You can also put a small piece of heat shink tubing on the line. I just like the color change.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
Watch out witht eh heat shrink as it has a sharp edge that the line pivots on. You are very prone to get crcking olong the bottom edge.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I saw something at I think it was the Marlow Clave that Mike Kinney was playing with. I am not sure if it was made by Airflo but I think so. It is a black tube about 2" long and you slide it up your running line till it hits the rear taper. It went through the guides well and I think it was made for the Long Delta. I will try and find out some more info this week if anybody is interested. I am sorry I didn't pay more attention but I do not have a LD.

Kevin

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would think that a small bumb would work too. Take some aquasure/liquisole/etc. and put just a tad onto the line where you hold the line for sweet casting and let it dry. Just don't make the bumb too big or blunt.

Haven't tried but should work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've dyed a few lines over the years because I have a dislike of bright lines, and would just add two points. First, be sure to clean the line before starting. I think some line dressings can impede the take-up of dye - at least, the first time I tried it failed to take. This was using 'Dylon', incidentally, which is easily available in the UK - Rit isn't sold here. Secondly, I believe that it may be inadvisable to use detergent to clean lines, as it can degrade the plastic. The general advice I've seen is to use soap powder instead.

On the points about marking the back of the belly, I use two 1/4" whippings of fly tying thread, about 1-2" apart, coated in aquasure, placed just where the line comes to hand for a comfortable rod loading. They're distinct enough that you can hear/feel them coming through the rings, as well as see them, but don't seem to affect the shooting ability and are short enough not to affect the flex of the line and cause hinging.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Casting these new fangled lines

Hi Charlie ,( Gardener) remind me not to show you my garden ,
next time we are down on the wandle you ought to show me your techniqe with these lines ,just starting to get a mastery spey line to shoot .You obviously hve been playing with them td longer thn I .
The mastery works rather well on Lord Geoffs new 17.6 B+W ,which I tried on a Essex put and take pond over the bank Holiday ,it works even better on the old Loomis 15',but I havent mastered it yet .

·
Registered
215 Posts
HAHAHA Andy. I'm quite sure there's nothing I can teach you about speycasting, nor probably about much in the world of fishing.

I get on well with my Airflo (sssh!) Long Delta which, at 65', has a shorter head than your Mastery, but I only got it last year so it hasn't seen much action yet. My Wulff TT is a #7, which underguns the rod I use it on, so I can only make it work overhead, not with a speycast.

Always like playing with other people's tackle, though, (if you know what I mean) so why not bring it down to the Wandle some time, & I'll bring mine. Incidentally, I've heard interesting rumours about sea trout thereabouts, but my lips are sealed in public!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your on

A m/ini clave on the wandle is on .I,ll pack the lot 15s 13.5s reels DT8/9/10/11/12?+the mastery +an Airflo something that goes on the 15s
Hope i have the energy after pulling the trolleys ect out .
Wandle seatrout I want the low down !!! :smokin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts