Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Does anyone know if there is a DVD or Video of Dec Hogan and or Ed Ward casting the Skagit style? If so where might I get a copy?
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ed video

There's footage of Ed explaining the Skagit cast on the Sandy Clave video. See the link in the bar at left of this page. I'd like to see more available, but that's all I know of.

Carl

·
Registered
545 Posts
I saw Dec the other day and he mentioned that he had a new DVD that just came out featuring casting and fishing on the Dean. I think he said that Frank Amato was putting it out.

Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
If you go over to Dana's Speypages www.speypages.com and open the casting videos, you can find clips of Dec doing a reverse snake, snap C and a single. Scott is right, this is a very different style from Ed's.

Dec is more "traditional" in that he creates the dynamic
d-loop that loads the rod with minimal line stick, somewhat similar to what Goran does. Ed on the other hand, departs radically from that style. He uses the water to to load the rod - not a live d-loop. I will leave it to Ed to get into the fine points - he's likely out fishing right now and won't see this until tonight :D

I guess Dana has a new mission - to get out and take some video of Ed casting for Speypages :smokin:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Skagit casting

Yeah Kush thats a great idea for Dana to get Ed ward in the movies. Also maybe Marlow His set up into the cast for the perry poke Is different then eds and that could help get two sides to the story kind of thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Rick,

I bought the DVD on Dec Hogan casting on the Dean. I got it through Amato Books. As Kush said, Dec is not casting in the same way that Ed Ward did on the Sandy Clave tape. I did not find it to be very informative other than showing he is a marvelous caster in his appointed style. I would love to be able to cast like he does and am not denigrating his skill. I simply did not find much in the way of instruction. It is also very short compared to other videos I have.
For what its worth, I also bought the video of the Hazels available through Flyfish T.V. and found it to be a much more informative tool. I should add that I am at best an intermediate caster and am searching for ways to improve.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just bought the Dec Hogan DVD and I liked it. Granted. there wasn't much that I didn't already know, but I don't think that was the point of the video. It wasn't about throwing the perfect Spey cast with all the tradition and form. Dec demonstrated several very fishable casts. There was practicality and a style about his casting that I found very similar to my own. It was all about getting the fly out there and fishing.

I liked the replay of the casting. It would play the first couple seconds or first part of the cast. Then it would repeat with a couple more seconds, then repeat again through the whole cast. Most videos only have the cast a couple times and regular speed. I have to capture these to my hard drive, slow them down in my video software and then dissect them to understand the cast. I can just throw Dec's DVD in and play it back and forth.

Plus, he goes into detail about working the fly through a run. The JU-JU factor, as he calls it, is an important aspect of fishing. You have to be ready for the take while fishing the fly like you did the first cast after you caught your first Steelhead. But even if it takes a whole year, you have to be ready. I have missed a lot of takes because I wasn't ready.

There was a nice section on working the fish and reviving it too. What to look for before release, etc. Dec also talks about actually fishing up against the bank from hell. Improvising your cast to adapt to the obstacles. The DVD was short, but short and efficient like his casting. I will be able to use it to work with my casting and improve my snake roll. I just liked the idea of a Spey DVD that was all about catching Steelhead instead of sitting there watching how nice your loops look, going out a hundred feet.

Ed and Dec's style of casting are not all that similar. They both have there own method of getting the fly into a working position, but I think they may both share the idea that it's about fishing and not casting.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got the DVD by Dec. I thought it was excellent. He makes a lot of good points. The breakdown on the casts was well done. I like to hear that, when your back is to the wall, style points don't count. Now I've just got to get to the Dean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts