Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a pattern that has always intrigued me and finally got around to wrapping it up. I forgot the guinea sides and used ostrich for the butt instead of chenille out of habit but followed the Maxwell dressing as well as I could. The weird crests kinda tweaked the JC but she will be the first to get wet in the morning, I can't wait to see what the crests do in the water! Any comments and critiques are appreciated.
-Josh

Oh and again, sorry about the photo. All I have is my phone right now...

Attachments

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,160 Posts
It will be interesting to hear how that well-dressed critter tracked in the wet, although I imagine it will do fine once the pheasant crest is softened.

Hope you get some grabs!

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Interesting wing set. Looks like it might just add some action. Well tied.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great job.seems there a dusty miller fever going on
right?!? its weird because last night I got on the phantoms to find something obscure to tie and saw the dusty, just had to finally do it. After the fly was done i got on the boards and saw that others have had the same idea.

thanks for the kind words everyone, this was a fun one to do

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
sweet fly. looks cool on this hook. the "sides" seem a touch long, but I bet they look awesome under water. after having such success on silver body flies this winter, I think one or two of these need in the box. maybe one wee one and one long sleek one.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just contemplating putting one on one of those bronze AJ irons with a longer hackle, we'll see how that actually turns out though... As far as those crests i actually tried to tone them down a bit from the pic on the phantoms site, those are huge! but yeah they do look way out of place and giant...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice..

Liking this.agree with you on the lengths topping sides.
For me not sure how I feel about the toppings like this..
But also thinking the movement going a unnatural way..
Should get a curious taker...great lines on this....
And hook is spot on..
Atb
Kyle

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Lovely tie, Josh!

thanks for sharing ;)

Mike

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys! I bought a couple hundred of these hooks a long time ago and absolutely hated them, I just couldn't get it right and then I gave some to zilliox and he showed me the magic that these things can be! They are stout with a long spear and imo not too easy on the eye but somehow when dressed properly they really bring a pattern to life. Thanks Matt!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts