Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how durable is stainless steel spring on newer, like post 2011 Hardy Wide Spool Perfects. Clickers appear to be made form very hard navy brass ( bronze) alloy, so the should last for a very long time.

I am not sure if getting an extra Hardy's A-pack, consisting of two spare clicker and two spring, is really necessary.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
It will do no harm to have a spare or 2 if you have multiple Perfects. I've had a couple break on new issue reels. I bought the replacements from Bill Archuletta in Grant's Pass OR. I carry a spare now.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I was curious how durable is stainless steel spring on newer, like post 2011 Hardy Wide Spool Perfects. Clickers appear to be made form very hard navy brass ( bronze) alloy, so the should last for a very long time.

I am not sure if getting an extra Hardy's A-pack, consisting of two spare clicker and two spring, is really necessary.
I fish Perfects most of the time, and love them. You'll be amazed at how useless they are with a broken spring.

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
I fish Perfects most of the time, and love them. You'll be amazed at how useless they are with a broken spring.
That's funny! Broken spring on a Farlex... same amazement! Who knew?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I purchased one of the newer Hardy Perfects in 2012 and always thought the springs were kind of weak and flimsy on an $800 reel. They barely kept the spool from over running. So recently I purchased some heavy duty springs from Bill Archuleta in Grants Pass, Oregon. I may have to send the reel and springs back to him and him install them because when I put them in I found they were too strong and I could barely pull line off the spool even with the tension off the springs with the adjusting knob.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased one of the newer Hardy Perfects in 2012 and always thought the springs were kind of weak and flimsy

Interesting, my outgoing spring/clicker is quite strong even at lighter set-up. Of course, incoming clicker is deactivated, so resistance feels noticeable lighter.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I purchased one of the newer Hardy Perfects in 2012 and always thought the springs were kind of weak and flimsy

Interesting, my outgoing spring/clicker is quite strong even at lighter set-up. Of course, incoming clicker is deactivated, so resistance feels noticeable lighter.
Isn't it a single pawl (clicker) that is engaged just resonating at a different pitch out-going from in-coming?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
There are 2 pawls but you only engage 1 depending on which side of the reel you wind on. I was told by Bill Archuleta that you have to have both springs installed to keep proper pressure on the center screw mechanism.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for confusion !!!

When I said deactivated, I meant clicker is positioned as the one on the right, so it generates less resistance when reeling in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts