Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to dee flies but I was inspired by MZilliox to try tie one of these. I tried reshaping the hook, but it took me three tries, if someone could point me in the right direction for shaping hooks that would really be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Not bad at all and if you haven't already - nwflytyer has a very good article on reshaping hooks - "Hook Making 101" in the tying notes. Describes the heating and reshaping of hooks more than the actual production of hooks.

About the only thing I do different is to shorten the wing slips and close the loop a tad.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Hey macleanhewitt- take the two spaces out between the https and the :

https ://nwflytyer.wordpress.com/tying-notes/hook-making-101/

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
sweet tie and Vic is spot on with his advice as usual.

thanks for sharing and welcome to the world of dees. Don't worry too much about your results straightening hooks, they only have to hook fish... not look pretty.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Woooo, man...you're new to tying Dees and you post this beauty? Very nice. Good tips by Vic, but you are not far from great proportions and tying.

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
Loving that fly! Im also new to Dee flies but I must ask... Tail. Is that the JC that is called in the original? Also, tag color of the originals were lighter blue?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it calls for teal for the tail and yes it does call for lighter blue, but I didn't have any, and this is the first dunt I have tied so I wasn't too particular on having it exact. I just followed a picture off of google.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
This is pretty nicely tied with a good wing set, nicely proportioned body segments, and nice sparse hackle.

As has already been mentioned, shorten the wings a bit so they are either even with the end of the tail or a tad shorter than the tail length. Also, as has been mentioned, make the eye loop shorter, about 2/5ths shorter would be perfect. The jungle cock sides would look better if a tad longer (about 1/3rd shank length) and angled so there is a straight line from the tie-in spot to the hook point.

You definitely have the "tying disease" like many of the rest of us herein.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts