Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Is anyone still using DT lines for their Spey casting?

If so, how do you match the AFTMA to the rod rating?

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
273 Posts
Double Tapered Fly Lines

I personally use a DT for practicing. Shows the errors and refines my casting technique If your rod is A 8wt, get a standard 8wt DT line and mark off 70'. That will be approximately the correct grains for a 8wt. spey rod. Shorten or lengthen from 70' until you hit the sweet spot; mark again and then weight that portion. Viola, you have the correct weight for that particular spey rod. Hope this helps, Klem

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
When I use my Sage 15' #8, I will often toss a DT9F out to 90'.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
get turned on!

once the `sweet spot' is found,,,cut/loop or splice to a mono or threadline running line,,,she'll fly!,you can also cut/loop the tip,,use sinktips or go back to the original looped tip,,they work like any line,,better than some WF creations, it seems they have a short front taper,,,i will say some lines i don't like because the coating is to soft,,,out to 70 ft distance not counting leader,,fine!of course i'm using with 16-18 ft'rs,,don't know how they work with baby speys :rolleyes:

·
Registered
498 Posts
baby speys

Hammer & all

I used a DT-7, DT-8 and a DT-9 this summer on the 5 to 7 weight rods that I tried. While they may not have been the ultimate lines for each of the rods they did cast very well. 4 of these were Meisers two hand trouter series. The 10'6" 5/6, 11'4" 6/7, 11'7" 5/6 and the 12'6" 5/6. One CND Expert 1306, and a G Loomis Metolius 13'4" 5/6.

Skilly

·
Registered
147 Posts
DT's are awsome lines for REAL fishing.. they are at least equal to the XLT for normal fishing conditions.. it is my opinion that for the most part rod manufacturers know what they are doing and the line should corrispond to the advertised line weight of the rod..
My TnT 1309 was a beautiful rod for casting a DT salmon 9

·
Registered
56 Posts
double taper lines

I still use DT lines for most of my double handed fishing here in the uk .Lines of 120 ft are readily available over here for about one third of the price of the spey Wf type lines and in different densities.As a general rule I would match the lower line rating of a rod to the DT line eg use a 10 dt line on a #10-11 rod, if you do not like the sound of a 120ft Dt line a shorter type of Dt can be spliced on to running line which can give great results.overall I find the DT a great fishing line which gives great control over the fly at all distances and delicate presentation,which to me are far more impotant than an extra few yards of distance,but it may be a different matter for any of you guys out there who fish really big flowsand need 120ft plus just to reach the fish

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
DT's and 'short range fishing.'

Still have a couple of reels loaded with DT lines for summer run fishing work. The 'beauty' of these lines is they allow you to 'fish short' rather than have to run out a 40-70 foot head just to properly load a given spey rod.

A good thing ... if the fish are sitting at your feet in the run.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
A Hundred and Twenty Foot double taper? Hmmmmmm This is sounds kinda interesting. Something I might have to try on my lighter rod when I get her.

Are there any places in the U.S. of A that sells those long DT's?

·
Registered
56 Posts
120 ft dt lines

the lines I talked about are made by british line manufacturers so I am unsure if they are available in the US but if you can get hold of a copy of trout and salmon magazine they are usually advertised by some of the tackle retailers

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Luv2flyfish...

SA makes the Ultra 4 Salmon Double Taper in 9, 10, & 11 floating. These lines are 120' overall and sell $57.95.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The best double taper?

I don't know whether Cortland still offers its 444SL 120-foot double taper floating spey lines, but I've gotten good use out of two of them. They feature complex, multi-step tapers from the middle belly, and they turn over beautifully.

British DT's usually have longer tapers than ours (I've measured them from 12 to 18 feet long), and turn over better, that is, more gently.

Inexpensive DT's are great fodder for line splicing experiments. An eBay junky, I've recently gotten a DT11F for 99 cents and three DT10F's for $6.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
how much do they weigh?

Anyone know the grain weight specs for the SA salmon DT (120ft) 9wt and 10wt?

I asked SA for the specs, but they sent me the specs for all the regular lines....the single hander, 90 ft lines. Curious on the weight of the 120ft lines. Thanks. Jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

Jay has asked the same questionas I was originally asking a while ago. How does the grain weight of a DT10 90 ft line (single hander) compate to the grain weight of a DT10 120 ft line (double hander)?
Are they the same per foot? Or is the 120 line heavier as its a spey line?

I've tried the 90 ft DT lines on my double handers and they dont even begin to load them.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
439 Posts
DT lines

One of the list members published this some time ago: AFTMA Std for DtSpey, Starting with DT7 [email protected] 70', DT8 [email protected] 70', DT9 [email protected]', DT10 [email protected]', DT11 [email protected] 70', and DT12 [email protected]'. Line Weight At 70'.
In Mike Maxwells book "The Art and Science of Speyfishing With a Double-hand Flyrod", discusses the issues and offers a fix for using the single handed DT's on a two haneded rod. His fix was the concept of RIO's Accelerator fly line, WITHOUT the power hindge. The fix is looping the front taper of a DT line, 2 line sizes smaller. Formula in the book.
Most of what I have read suggests that, when learning with a DT line go up one line size and then go with the factory line rating as you get proficient.
Hope this helps.
Leroy............................

·
Registered
294 Posts
Carl,
next time your down south give me warning ,Ihave a fullrange of long DTs in#10+#11 and i think a #12.
I could,nt see the point of the o5ther lines until rscently ,now enjoying the Snobee 2D and a SA multi tip .
BTW thanks for the great SHander lessson .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts