Spey Pages banner

261 - 280 of 328 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
So it finally happened, after 12 visits to the river, I came across a fish and it smashed my skater. The weather that day was misty and overcast; felt very fishy!

I went many trips without a touch and still remained persistent in tying on a skater each visit. There’s one rule to skating flies, you will only catch a fish on a skater if you have one tied on. Leave it on. Cover water. Try to keep the confidence high, because it will eventually happen. Keeping the faith was the hardest part because I had gone so long without even a rise.

Thankful for the little Wang was up for the challenge, thanks Todd. Oddly, the fly seemed to be taken just above the mouth, so I wonder how hard or awkwardly the fish took the fly. Since it was crimped it came out easily once landed. (Excuse my forehead vein, lol.)

This fish came out of Station, which seems to be hairier wade than last year. Perhaps the high water scoured out the bottom this winter? Regardless, I'm stoked and relieved to find one this year, even if it's out of the camp water stretch. You can see the satisfaction in my smile. Haha.

I wish everyone luck in their search. May you cross paths and enjoy the often lengthy process to seal the deal. Cheers.

https://i.imgur.com/7Pgk4iq.mp4

ALSO if you're headed out there soon, I'm on Instagram and feel free to reach out on there and lets link up to fish!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2NdnfFDsWZ/
https://www.instagram.com/caddiscowboy/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats man!!! You earned it. Couldn’t agree more with what you said. You just got to do it to make it happen. I am looking forward to my trip out there in a few weeks and will be swinging nothing but surface flies again. No expectations of a rise but will just enjoy watching the fly skate it’s way across the surface. Am I the only one that hears the Jaws soundtrack while swinging surface flies?

So it finally happened, after 12 visits to the river, I came across a fish and it smashed my skater.

https://imgur.com/ZKyRfu2

I went many trips without a touch and still remained persistent in tying on a skater each visit. There’s one rule to skating flies, you will only catch a fish on a skater if you have one tied on. Leave it on. Cover water. Try to keep the confidence high, because it will eventually happen. Keeping the faith was the hardest part because I had gone so long without even a rise.

https://imgur.com/odZupXq

Thankful for the little Wang was up for the challenge, thanks Todd. Oddly, the fly seemed to be taken just above the mouth, so I wonder how hard or awkwardly the fish took the fly. Since it was crimped it came out easily once landed. (Excuse my forehead vein, lol.)

https://imgur.com/6Czkg6e

This fish came out of Station, which seems to be hairier wade than last year. Perhaps the high water scoured out the bottom this winter? Regardless, I'm stoked and relieved to find one this year, even if it's out of the camp water stretch. You can see the satisfaction in my smile. Haha.

https://imgur.com/vIcNQn7

I wish everyone luck in their search. May you cross paths and enjoy the often lengthy process to seal the deal. Cheers.

https://imgur.com/7Pgk4iq

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Fantastic, something you should remember forever. Glad you got such a good record of it. But damn those pictures, especially the ones close to the water. I’m stuck here in a cast for at least three more months after ankle surgery. I’m going crazy, but until I saw those pictures and read your post I had no idea what emotional pain is! :chuckle::(

Wish I was there too! I wouldn’t care the least if I didn’t get a take for a month at this point. I’d just get a leg up on my bird watching and casting practice. Perspective, eh? She (also) is a harsh mistress.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Hey now...just splendid all around. I dig your attitude, amigo. How cool is that? Getting your first dry fly steelhead on the most famous pool of them all. And boy, is she a looker. Cheers!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Congrats man!!! You earned it. Couldn’t agree more with what you said. You just got to do it to make it happen. I am looking forward to my trip out there in a few weeks and will be swinging nothing but surface flies again. No expectations of a rise but will just enjoy watching the fly skate it’s way across the surface. Am I the only one that hears the Jaws soundtrack while swinging surface flies?
Thank you! Be sure to holler when you visit, if timing is great I'd love to join up and share some runs. Cheers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice job Coalbe! Glad you found a player. That Farlex must have made a joyful noise. Stoked for you!

Nate
Thank you! It was fun to hear it bark a few times. I was reluctant to let her run in this hole, so I was pretty clamped down. Hoping to find another that takes a screaming run so I can hear it hit that special mega-run octave.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thank you! It was fun to hear it bark a few times. I was reluctant to let her run in this hole, so I was pretty clamped down. Hoping to find another that takes a screaming run so I can hear it hit that special mega-run octave.
Very cool. Sounds like you fought that fish hard, which is always a good thing. I just got my first Farlex and was so impressed with the amount of tension one can apply by adjusting the knob. The range is huge and it seems to put as much or more drag than an Abel or Loop cork/disk drag. Tim nailed it with his designs.

At any rate, dry fly is where it is at!!! Good on you. Could'nt have happened on a prettier piece of water. Happy skating/waking.

Nate

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very cool. Sounds like you fought that fish hard, which is always a good thing. I just got my first Farlex and was so impressed with the amount of tension one can apply by adjusting the knob. The range is huge and it seems to put as much or more drag than an Abel or Loop cork/disk drag. Tim nailed it with his designs.

At any rate, dry fly is where it is at!!! Good on you. Could'nt have happened on a prettier piece of water. Happy skating/waking.

Nate
It's an absolutely wonderful reel, I adore it. The black and brass give a sinister look that I love. I'm just now getting past the 'crying over new dings' stage, but it's a tool more than a jewel. However, from what I have heard, be sure to back off that drag when you're done fishing for the day. It'll extend the life of the drag mechanism.

Likewise, I wish you luck in skating too! If you're ever in the area, be sure to holler!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you! Be sure to holler when you visit, if timing is great I'd love to join up and share some runs. Cheers.
I definitely will hit you up but it may have to be next year. This trip is going to be a whirlwind. I will get in touch though if that changes or for sure next year. Would love to swing some dries together!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I definitely will hit you up but it may have to be next year. This trip is going to be a whirlwind. I will get in touch though if that changes or for sure next year. Would love to swing some dries together!
Today's the day...my first 2019 effort at summer-runs on the dry...and in fact this weekend will be really my first hard-core attempt at this feat outside of a trip to the NU last summer...

I've got basically 3 days to make it happen this trip, but I am more committed to fishing the dry into the early winter season this year...I do believe on one of my rivers I could potentially get a fish in January if I really stick with it as those fish stay pretty grabby even in cold water and I routinely see them playing with mayfly duns on the surface even in Dec-Jan...

Will report back if successful...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Today's the day...my first 2019 effort at summer-runs on the dry...and in fact this weekend will be really my first hard-core attempt at this feat outside of a trip to the NU last summer...

I've got basically 3 days to make it happen this trip, but I am more committed to fishing the dry into the early winter season this year...I do believe on one of my rivers I could potentially get a fish in January if I really stick with it as those fish stay pretty grabby even in cold water and I routinely see them playing with mayfly duns on the surface even in Dec-Jan...

Will report back if successful...
action on half pounders was pretty hot this weekend, unfortunately they were more on the order of "quarter pounders" on average...though my buddy who I was teaching to cast got a decent 19"er on the first run that he ever fished with a two hander. I rose the fish on a skater as I was teaching him a few tips about casting, and had him come back with a tiny dancer which connected on the first swing. the fish about took the rod out of his hand, pretty cool to see a newbie get that kind of a response right out the gate.

rose a nice fish on my 4th cast into the only run I fished on Saturday night, and another decent one on the 3rd cast into my first run on Sunday morning. comeback attempts with same/different flies and even with grease liners were not met with the same response unfortunately and the rest of the weekend was slow on the 18"+ variety of fish.

great long weekend on the river even though the bigger fish were not too playful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is the first fall that I'm really focusing on fishing a "dry line". Here on the Bois Brule in WI, Scandi lines are a bit long for our small tight river, but I've been having fun throwing a 10ft floating mow tip on a 375 grain OPST Commando head, my Sage Pulse 7114 digs it. When the conditions are favorable I've been throwing skaters, wets and muddler variations.

Top two are tied by Josh Mills, the bottom three I tied. I thought it would be fun to try a green butt skunk variation muddler.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's been over 1 year since I've risen and hooked one on a dry. The last successful trip was on a normally busy and famous river but in the "off" season when no one pays attention to it, it can be paradise. Every run is open, few or zero jet boats and floaters, every run lays unmolested and usually holds a fish or two interested in playing my game.

Two trips this summer had low fish numbers and the pull of the dark(or deep) side was too strong to resist. A bit sad and disappointed to not have witnessed a grab on the surface.

261 - 280 of 328 Posts