Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We’ve had an early spring and are now into an early summer with lower water and rising temperatures. Early June conditions now appear more like those of July. Let’s have a detailed discussion of proven techniques for summer steelie, grilse, and salmon angling.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,014 Posts
Can speeak of Salmon and Grilse

Typically from July 1st it is buck bugs, bombers and of course always the ever present Carter's Bug.

12' braided Airflo leader and 3.5 ' 16lb maxima, Single or double handed no issues... Stopping here as the rest of the info I would have to kill you

Good luck folks, for further details just shoot me a PM

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
In quebec it's Bombers... Typically Big (2,4 and 6). Occasionally smaller... I personally want to concentrate on Riffled flies instead. Great technique I want to get better at.

·
Coastal PNW
816 Posts
Awesome Photo
Here in the PNW it’s a first or last light presentation for best results. Often small muddller or low water type flies (ie teal and blue) and light leaders.
Down and across, I like a downstream belly so no stall out in often low and slow water.
The choppy curtain water is never passed

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jim, I see a bomber on that Sharpes. Do you always fish them dead drift? Or allow them to skitter across when the drift ends? Do you limit Bomber fishing to showing fish or fish them blind?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Where do you find Airflo braided leaders? I have never seen them and they are not on the Airflo web site.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,072 Posts
There are two questions I have asked more than once here. Can you fish a dry fly/bomber with a two handed rod and can one use a two handed rod out of a 26 foot Sharpe's canoe? Jim posted something one day which caused me to pm him both questions. His answers were very interesting. (autocorrect broght up inspiring for interesting, his response was inspiring as well)

Jim I think the group would find your take on this very interesting.

Leo

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are two questions I have asked more than once here. Can you fish a dry fly/bomber with a two handed rod and can one use a two handed rod out of a 26 foot Sharpe's canoe? Jim posted something one day which caused me to pm him both questions. His answers were very interesting. (autocorrect broght up inspiring for interesting, his response was inspiring as well)

Leo
Why wouldn't you be able to do either of those things?

·
Spey Is The Way
1,072 Posts
Traditionally done with a single handed rod. Technique is a little different with a two hander.

Leo

·
FKA Bhudda from 06’
Dull hooks
181 Posts
Beautiful weapons of choice! I love a CND GPS and a 15 foot leader of 12lbs ultragreen maxima.
....is that bottom rods reel backwards? :)

Cheers-Jeffreylee

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

Leo

Double Handed Rods pose no issues with Dry Fly Fishing for Salmon or Trout

·
Registered
Pieroway MD510, MD400
144 Posts
As a retired soldier, I’ve had many injuries over the years and I got into two handers because I couldn’t cast anymore due to a surgical shoulder repair. I have had zero issues using a two hander for drys and honestly I wish I had gotten into two handers a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
As a retired soldier, I’ve had many injuries over the years and I got into two handers because I couldn’t cast anymore due to a surgical shoulder repair. I have had zero issues using a two hander for drys and honestly I wish I had gotten into two handers a long time ago.

Aggh I always liked your style

Reactions: Rugger007

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful weapons of choice! I love a CND GPS and a 15 foot leader of 12lbs ultragreen maxima.

Cheers-Jeffreylee

Cheers-Jeffreylee
Rings up perfect, don’t seem manny people fishing those. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have much to offer on surface techniques. I will hitch or turle knot from the bottom of a down eyed hook, a few times each summer. I love the aesthetic, and there is no better way to figure out where/how your fly is swinging, but I am a wet fly fisherman at heart.
I prefer to sense rather than see. Intently watching a fly some how diminishes my sense of place - my immersion in the river environment. I prefer my fly just under the surface. Scandi lines with an intermediate poly, or tapered mono with a sparse fly. Scandi 3d fhi is currently my line of choice with about 9' of tapered mono leader. I am wanting to play a bit more with longer lines.
I'm surprised we haven't heard from 808steelheader or fshnazn.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have much to offer on surface techniques. I will hitch or turle knot from the bottom of a down eyed hook, a few times each summer. I love the aesthetic, and there is no better way to figure out where/how your fly is swinging, but I am a wet fly fisherman at heart.
I prefer to sense rather than see. Intently watching a fly some how diminishes my sense of place - my immersion in the river environment. I prefer my fly just under the surface. Scandi lines with an intermediate poly, or tapered mono with a sparse fly. Scandi 3d fhi is currently my line of choice with about 9' of tapered mono leader. I am wanting to play a bit more with longer lines.
I'm surprised we haven't heard from 808steelheader or fshnazn.
I have trouble seeing my waking flies anyway, I just like knowing I raised the fish to the top and get to see them grab the fly.☺

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I don't worry about seeing the fly the whole time, I can't see it 80% of the time anyway. I will pay attention to the area I think the fly is at and usually always see the take.
My favorite way to fish, long rods, long lines with either some type of caddis skatter or a small green butt skunk Hitched, any time of day as long as the sun is not on the water, then it's just a wet fly just below the surface

1 - 20 of 22 Posts