Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the side interest of being a steelheader and gardener is weather watching. We are in semi-drought conditions here in parts of the midwest with a hot and dry period approaching. Our steelhead runs are very dependent on rain fall. As I mentioned in another post, we are going to be on the Deschutes River the first week in October. We also have been hearing about the drought that Oregon is suffering through. How does the Deschutes fish in low water/drought conditions?

Thanks,
David Dornblaser

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dornblaster,

We are certainly very dependant upon our weather as well...OUR SNOWPACK from last winter was at 30 some percent of normal (normal being 100) Snowpack feeds the rivers, and just as importantly keeps them cool in temperature. Oregons saving grace has been a very wet, mild spring/summer thus far, and I am thrilled every time we get rain. October should still fish really well because of cooler nights/days...some overcast during the days. The rains did a lot to fill up the resevoirs over east that supply water for irrigation rights, and the fish...I think it will be a good year if our runs start turning on...Where you gonna be fishing?

Rick

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deschutes River

No sure where we will be fishing. We will be guides for the three days we will be on the water and location will be in their hands. We will be staying in Maupin.

David

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Vis a vis a guide, contact LeRoy Teeple (he posts here on the board); VERY good guide, even better as a spey caster. (And one of the nicest guys you could ever meet!!)

As is the case for several of our major rivers, the flow on the Desch'ts is controled by one or two major dams. I suspect you'll find the flows a tad on the low side, but not enough to really effect fishing. If anything, it might make it better.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Dornblaser, the flows on the lower Deschutes will be fine when you are here, Thanks to the Confederated Tribes of WarmSprings the flow out of Pelton Dam can not drop below 3300 cfs. This was agreed to help the Salmon runs rebuild. Last year in the first week of october the flow was 3700cfs out of the Dam and at Moody it was 4050cfs(Moody is 35 miles below Maupin). You should hit it in prime time, good luck and tight lines,brian ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts