Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone interested in Drifting the Bulkley at all this week?? Or anyone fishing in Smithers want to get together?? I am going up Solo tomorrow night, I am planning on doing a few drifts.. My only problem I'm not sure how to get back to the truck. I know there is a shuttle service around, Anyone use him?? Cheers

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Call a cab. From my understanding, the shuttles have been construed as 'illegal' guiding by some of the outfitters up there (classy...)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting..

most shuttles leave ( with your rig)long after you have started your drift and end up somewhere down stream at the discussed take out.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
From a previous discussion on this a couple years ago, I got this response to the same question:

The definition of a guide (for angling):

"guide for fish" means a person who, for compensation or reward received or promised,

(a) accompanies another person and assists that person to angle,
(b) attends another person at or near an angling site in a manner that, directly or indirectly, assists that person to angle, or
(c) transports, for the purpose of angling, another person to, from or between angling sites,
but does not include a member of a class of persons prescribed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council;

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think the big difference for BC steelhead is that classified rivers are highly regulated with limited master guide licenses and quotas on rod days. These days the master guide license with significant rod days on popular classified rivers are literally worth millions of dollars...

most shuttles leave ( with your rig)long after you have started your drift and end up somewhere down stream at the discussed take out.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Times have changed

From a previous discussion on this a couple years ago, I got this response to the same question:

The definition of a guide (for angling):

"guide for fish" means a person who, for compensation or reward received or promised,

(a) accompanies another person and assists that person to angle,
(b) attends another person at or near an angling site in a manner that, directly or indirectly, assists that person to angle, or
(c) transports, for the purpose of angling, another person to, from or between angling sites,
but does not include a member of a class of persons prescribed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council;
No doubt that the locals feel the pressure-can't be simple anymore.

I guess one could stop along the road, explain to his prospective " client" the lies and flies. Sort of a walk - in guide detailing the run, while waiting with the boat. I don't know, seems like a hassle.
On the other hand, any conversation about a favorite run enroute is no one's business but theirs' alone.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
go to Oscars source for sport and ask them who they would recommend or just call a cab...I was lucky last year and had a friend who lives there pick me up each day...cost two great bottles of wine and a dinner and was well worth it..but backup would have been the names they (oscars provided or a cab service..

If you worried about leaving your toon, just take a lock and chain to a tree..take your rods with you in the cab..

Enjoy yourself..great place..

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Kris, no CO would ever try to persecute someone for two bottles of wine (let alone the effort it would require for said CO to go through finding out who Xgolfman is, and who his friend is..). Come on.

If we're gonna get to that stage, then a hotel that picks you up at the airport for your fishing trip, is guiding..

What if Its my turn to pick up the gas tab one day when fishing with a friend who is on a trip WITH me, in their vehicle?!

I can keep going. Some gas attendant fills up my truck on a way to a fishing spot. He just indirectly helped me to get to an angling site..

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
What you just said is evidence of illegal guiding and your friend could be charged with such if I sent a link to this post to the right people. You sure have a big mouth on the internet. I'm sure your friend appreciates it.
your such a *** tard...

So my buying wine as a thank you for picking me up makes them a guide? what brent says above...the hotel has done it..ohhh better not give you that info either..... whole bunch of people you better be talking to then as unlike how you roll there are a lot of nice people who help each other out...

Go beitch at the boys in the shop too while your at it...as none of those numbers were guides either...

crock of b.s.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bulkley Drifting

Didn't think I would stir up a nest, just looking for info.. I will probably call a cab.. Is the Cabbie therefore guiding? If that constitutes guiding then these regs are way out of whack. And I will be fishing illegally as I have no other way to get back to my truck.

Can't help it though Iv'e got the fever and I am going mining for chrome!!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Didn't think I would stir up a nest, just looking for info.. I will probably call a cab.. Is the Cabbie therefore guiding? If that constitutes guiding then these regs are way out of whack. And I will be fishing illegally as I have no other way to get back to my truck.

Can't help it though Iv'e got the fever and I am going mining for chrome!!
you weren't PGK is an angry boy and loves to make everyone miserable with this b.s.

you'll find the people amazing up there so enjoy yourself

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lots of ridiculousness up there these days. Shuttling labeled as guiding is over the top and just plain silly. Outfitters insecurities are getting tiresome. When I'm floating I have BV taxi service on speed dial or usually have buddies camped out with me and coordinate the self shuttle. Both could be illegal guiding..Where does the madness end?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Charges have been laid on the exact same scenario many times. The same thing happens on the hunting guide side of things and is partly how the whole 'packer/transporter' regulations got started. The guiding and 'hosting' industry in BC is already out of control and we want to add shuttles on the bulkley? How long until the fly shops are hiring out SBM or AV for 'shuttle' service? Find buddies who are willing to shuttle as a favour or don't float. Simple. Paying for shuttle service is guiding. The law is clear. None of your interpretations can be read as falling under the law as written, unless the gas station attendant ties your fly on or the hotel drops you off at canoe flats.

Kris, I've spent a lot of time around shuttle companies, and I can tell you that 100% of the drivers are 65+ Yr old retired gents who just want to make some money and be outside. Not one is a guide or former guide, and no guide would aspire to become a shuttle driver. Come on.

Call a cab for your shuttle. Or talk to someone at the boat launch about a ride back, it's all pretty easy and you'll easily find someone to do it. Pay it forward and you're all set.

Let's try and keep steelheading at least somewhat of a gentlemans sport.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Right, since calling a cab , having a friend up there or bringing a jet boat is not happening?! You must be fishing a different Bulkley then me, it's hardly a wilderness experience. people are going up with or without a shuttle plan, that is not anyone's game changer for up there

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Kris, how is it legal for the fly shops to rent out pontoon or watercraft? Seems pretty blatantly falling under what is considered guiding. Or giving away fishing advice (put ins, etc) with the expectation that the person will buy something?

I bet if someone went around it the correct way they could get permission to start a shuttle company.

·
Registered
95 Posts
your such a *** tard...

So my buying wine as a thank you for picking me up makes them a guide? what brent says above...the hotel has done it..ohhh better not give you that info either..... whole bunch of people you better be talking to then as unlike how you roll there are a lot of nice people who help each other out...

Go beitch at the boys in the shop too while your at it...as none of those numbers were guides either...

crock of b.s.
Kris is right. Sometimes Paul you'd do much better to just stay quiet

·
Registered
163 Posts
What you just said is evidence of illegal guiding and your friend could be charged with such if I sent a link to this post to the right people. You sure have a big mouth on the internet. I'm sure your friend appreciates it.
Come on man, you've gotta admit you've made kind of a retarded statement. :chuckle:

The law is in place to prevent people from running this as a business--not to stop people from buying their friends dinner to thank them for giving them a ride to and from the river. :roll:

If that's the case, I illegally guided my brother this weekend cause he bought the beer after I drove him to and from the river, made casts for him and handed the rod to him when a fish was hooked. :saeek:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Well hope I didn't derail this too much.

For the most part you can always get a ride up there if you ask a fellow angler. Pretty well every guy I've talked to who is floating (and for the most part non-guided folk in jets) are beyond friendly and good dudes... If you're camping, it's easy enough to find someone who is floating as well to split the ride duties with. My longest trip I did about 24 days of floating in the Skeena Drainage without one taxi or "shuttle" ride. It's pretty good way to make some really good friends. Don't forget to return the favor

·
Registered
741 Posts
If that's the case, I illegally guided my brother this weekend cause he bought the beer after I drove him to and from the river, made casts for him and handed the rod to him when a fish was hooked. :saeek:
What kind of lazy fishing is that? :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts