Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

For you drift boaters out there, what do you carry a "spare" of just in case it's needed. Either for your boating needs or for your trailering needs,

I've got the following and really feel I could round this out further:
- spare tire
- spare oar
- spare life jackets
- spare trailer winch line
- spare change of clothes just in case

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
1 life jackets for every person and first aid kit
2 spare oar, pair of oar locks and pair of pins
3 throw bag
4 axe and saw
5 means to start a fire(I have about 3 different ways) and some instant soup hot chocolat with pots and cups
6 ropes and pulleys
7 scoop or bilge pump(hand) for those extra wet days
Thats just the stuff in the dry box for saftey,

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Another thing is a knife out and ready to cut anchor rope in an emergency, I have a little block right by my cleat with a knife, pliers and file.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Plugs, an extra oar lock, a third oar and an extra rod.

·
Administrator
2,471 Posts
Plugs, an extra oar lock, a third oar and an extra rod.
Other than the flask and cigar...this would be pretty much spot on. Also carry a Jetboil system that makes quick work of heating water for anything from Cup O Noodles to hot chocolate when duck hunting with the kids or cold weather fishing. Very compact and very versatile. Also have a fleece and TP under the rowers seat.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Very close to my list from years back.

1 life jackets for every person and first aid kit
2 spare oar, pair of oar locks and pair of pins
3 throw bag
4 axe and saw
5 means to start a fire(I have about 3 different ways) and some instant soup hot chocolat with pots and cups
6 ropes and pulleys
7 scoop or bilge pump(hand) for those extra wet days
Thats just the stuff in the dry box for saftey,
The one thing I'd add to the above is a gallon of fresh water; amazing how much of that you will go through during a day. Oh, the other thing was two of those emergency blankets that look like Alli tin foil. Folded up they take up close to zero room in your kit bag.

I didn't have to personally use them but came across a family had flipped their 'rent a raft.' Stranded for a lack of a better term. Mother and kid wrapped in one, Father and second wrapped in the other. Pulled out the 'stove,' water and made them 'Cup of Noodles' and tea. They had to share the plate, cuppa and the spoon. Didn't seem to care at the moment, I didn't ask their names, they didn't ask mine. Floated them down to where a family had a telephone, 'knock on the door.'

I don't care what the advertising says about 'go find wood,' put hard wood chips in a plastic bag and fire starter's, boiling water in minutes: http://www.kellykettleusa.com/kelly-kettles.html

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great stuff guys. Made me realize I've been without a spare oar lock and pins. I'll grab a set today.

And it's also time to go back through my dry bag to refresh everything (and maybe wash the spare change of clothes in there)

I need to see if I have those space blankets in my first aid kit too...

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Some good stuff here. To go with the spare tire I also carry a complete wheel hub. Any bearing issue can be cured quick ..and clean.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Good you caught on the oar lock, that was something at the top of the list for me. One day floating the Kenai I got a call from a buddy down river, he took a back channel pinned his oar on a rock and popped the lock right off. Dead in the water without a spare!

Number one and two for me are spare oar and lock. Another think to think about is put the most important life saving stuff in a waterproof container easily accessible that way you don't watch all your survival gear go floating away with the boat if things go real bad, a house full of gear doesn't do any good if the boat is upside down and everything is floating away!

·
Here to learn....
132 Posts
Lost an oar lock many moons ago at the beginning of a long float, had to fabricate one out of a bungee cord and duct tape.

I'd add a roll of duct tape in a plastic bag to your list too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Transom straps

Extra transom strap and tie down straps are something I carry along with everything else mentioned. For long trips if your trailer is equipped with bearing buddies I would carry an extra one in case it comes off (and it has). Also some grease for the hubs.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
Extra bulbs for the trailer lights, extra tie-downs, an extra PFD, TP (first thing I put in my boat!), all the extras mentioned above, extra prop, towels in the forward hold, extra bow/anchor line (can wrap rock in towels to use as extra anchor if primary is lost), bucket serves as anchor line storage and for bailing/collecting mushrooms, whatever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts