Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FloweMA
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. Looking at buying a drift boat, but with so many options I'm interested to hear people opinions on drift boat sizes. I'll be primarily using this boat to fish the Cowichan River, BC and want a three person boat to comfortably fish from with the wife and in-laws.

The more info the better!

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
If you will consistently have 3 adults in the boat, then a 17’ model (= 16’ on centerline) is a good choice. Choose 54” wide for agility or 60” wide for stability. I own a 16 x 54, love it for my needs, but have spent a lot of time in 17’ boats and see their value with more passengers.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
get a small raft instead. gets you and one other to prime swing water. have an excuse to escape the inlaws, and you wont spend your ENTIRE day rowing !

·
FloweMA
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
get a small raft instead. gets you and one other to prime swing water. have an excuse to escape the inlaws, and you wont spend your ENTIRE day rowing !
Already have a fully inflatable 9' OSG pontoon boat that I use for all my "prime" fishing days. Looking for something to extend my time on the water that much more.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
buy a BIG raft and do some BIG whitewater.! you will at least have more fun rowing !

·
FloweMA
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A raft is definitely not out of the question, but there are more used aluminum drift boats for sale around my area that are priced close to what a brand new raft will cost.

If I do end up going a raft, I have the rig picked out that I want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you will consistently have 3 adults in the boat, then a 17’ model (= 16’ on centerline) is a good choice. Choose 54” wide for agility or 60” wide for stability. I own a 16 x 54, love it for my needs, but have spent a lot of time in 17’ boats and see their value with more passengers.
I concur. I’ve had 2 boats 16 x 54 for 3 anglers. My current boat is 13, good for 1, OK for 2.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Mitch,

I am in Nanaimo and have a 13ft raft that I use on the Cowichan and a few other rivers. The Cowichan is really th only river with decent access to get a drift boat in. The upper section can get a bit low in May/June, where a raft is better, but most of the year a Drift boat is fine.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a 17x54 and love it. A 17x60 would be even better if you plan on having 3 in your boat on a regular basis. I might mention that level floors front and back are very nice and worth the upgrade.
If you were buying new and money was no issue you could get the best of both worlds with Stealthcraft cataraft. Part drift boat part raft.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 17x54 and love it. A 17x60 would be even better if you plan on having 3 in your boat on a regular basis. I might mention that level floors front and back are very nice and worth the upgrade.
If you were buying new and money was no issue you could get the best of both worlds with Stealthcraft cataraft. Part drift boat part raft.
I have had three db’s, 16x54 minimum, 17x 54 or larger would be preferable for your passengers and the weight you are carrying. Don’t be afraid of a fiberglass boat, 57” bottom, rounded chines, guaranteed hulls etc. Aluminum db’s are the standard, stick with major manufacturers as they have the designs and accessories dialed. Enjoy! The most versatile boat manufactured.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Hey Mitch,
I was just debating putting my Catchercraft 2 Salt Steelhead up for sale if that's of any interest to you.
I've had it nearly 2 years and only used it once on the Bulkley and Kispiox.
Cuz I got nobody to fish with.
Not exactly what you're looking for but thought I'd put it out there.
The boat and I are in Nanaimo.

Cheers!
Lief

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Folks. Looking at buying a drift boat, but with so many options I'm interested to hear people opinions on drift boat sizes. I'll be primarily using this boat to fish the Cowichan River, BC and want a three person boat to comfortably fish from with the wife and in-laws.

There is one on FB marketplace right now that might suit you.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I love the Clackamax. 18’ but tracks like a 14’

·
newcomer to spey casting
480 Posts
Clackacraft Headhunter II if not dealing with much whitewater. Lower profile means less susceptibility to wind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts