Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
The Skeena in the fall
415 Posts
Meiser MKS 13 1/2 foot 8/9
Fly Logic FLO+ 1409-4

These two are my winter standards. But a brilliant new acquisition is insinuating itself into the lineup: a CND 13' 7" 7/8/9 BV-GT. (It's really a dead-solid eight weight.)

My preferences are a bit heavier in line weights than the average winter steelheader seems to favor. It's my response to an unsolvable paradox: when pursuing winter steelhead, there is a very slight but real chance of hooking into a colossus, a monster. Losing such a lifetime fish due to inadequate tackle is not to be endured, not if it can be avoided. :ROFLMAO:
Agree with you about using gear matched to the larger fish you may encounter.
That’s good judgement by you and fair to the fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man it's good to see so many guys commenting the MKX 7/8s, the 13' version is certainly one of the 2 sticks I would choose even though I don't own one of my own yet!

I'd say with that and my Loomis IMX Pro Short Spey 71111, there isn't a fish or river that I'd feel ill-equipped on.

Also makes me realize I sure would hate to only have two rods!

·
Registered
Winston, Sage and loomis rods. Sage and Ross reels
12 Posts
Agree with you about using gear matched to the larger fish you may encounter.
That’s good judgement by you and fair to the fish.
I can’t help but notice all of your guys dedication to miser rods. I thought once you owed a burki you had made it in life. Anyways, I can’t imagine a better rod than my Winston B3 7133 but apparently there’s a make out there I need to put my hands on. Here in Ak you don’t see those rods sitting on a shelf at a fly shop, nor did I find diddly on eBay.
someone wanna give me a quick rundown on meiser rods.

you guys rock

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I can’t help but notice all of your guys dedication to miser rods. I thought once you owed a burki you had made it in life. Anyways, I can’t imagine a better rod than my Winston B3 7133 but apparently there’s a make out there I need to put my hands on. Here in Ak you don’t see those rods sitting on a shelf at a fly shop, nor did I find diddly on eBay.
someone wanna give me a quick rundown on meiser rods.

you guys rock

Give Bob a call and he will discuss what you like, what your needs are and he wil send you one to demo, here in WA people are either Burkie fans or Meiser fans. Both are great but the Meisers are more versatile in my opinion, especially the MKS.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
since the title is dream rods, i would have to say burkie 8128-4. since i dont fish smaller water with really big fish, my 8wts are all over 13+.
I would probably fish this rod some on the big water also tho.

·
Oncorhynchus tshawytscha
113 Posts
I have many two handed rods but I reach for two specific ones always, and the winter stick I would grab 100% of the time would be:

R.B. Meiser S2H1368S-4 Highlander S 8wt.

This rod has subdued fish north of 20lbs and over 40" with relative ease. It throws whatever you line it with in the grain window. So much soul......

I have never been afraid to bend it straight to the butt......

Thanks Bob.

Oh and I built the rod, not even close to Bob's quality, just for clarity......

~Bill

·
Registered
963 Posts
Burkie 8139-3 is a great winter rod. I sold mine because I wasn’t a fan of the 3 piece but she was sweet casting and powerful

·
Registered
963 Posts
And in keeping with the Meiser love fest I have an early model 13’6” 7/8 MKS that I fish. It was my first new rod and will never be sold.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bruce and Walker Powerlite 13' 6/7wt 3pc for a little lighter range and a Bruce and Walker Norway 13' 9wt 4pc for a little heavier duty fishing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Meiser 12'6 678 Highlander C
11'1 7 wt Meiser switch.

I wouldn't use the switch in a big river with big fish. I think that there are several lower priced rods (Echo, Redington, TFO) that would be good as well. I played with a Redington CPX 13'3 #8 and it was bomber. The Beulah Platiumum 13'2 #7 is killer. I owned a Burkie 13'9 #8 3 piece for a while, and it was just a tiny bit too strong for most of my fisheries - but high performance. I'd probably love the 13'4 #7 4 piece (guessing).

It is fun to share opinions, and I think I'd probably love MKS/MKX too.

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
The MKS 13.5 7/8WT is pretty dreamy, quite capable and adaptive all around and does everything. Not just for large steelhead in winter conditions but also in sweltering tropics and sight casting to large bonefish and trevally.
Haven't fished it much this winter so far... there's a stripping guide to replace. Besides Im enjoying Sage Brownies so far ... but theres still time.

·
Administrator
18,867 Posts
I'm all about using the right tool for the job. Winter conditions vary in my neck of the woods.
However my favorite stick to use when conditions allow, got to be my EVE ... 14ft 7/8/9 Highlander Classic.

Looking to expand and go forth into the world ... a certain river to the south of me has opportunity for another Meiser.
I looking to commission a 16ft 10/11 MKS ... this rod has been my "dream" for a while now.

Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
If I had to pick two rods to be my "Dream Stream" winter steelhead set-up...
1) This rod does not exist. This rod would be a 12' long rod with a skagit grain window of 525-625 grains. It would be a 3 piece rod, why 3 pieces? They transport easier in the drift boat or while hiking. When I hop from run to run, I like to break down my rods while they are still strung up. 4 pieces is a handful, and two pieces makes it awkward to stow in the boat or hike, particularly if the rod is longer than 12'6" hence 3 pieces. It is just one of my weird idiosyncrasies. This rod would primarily be for coastal rivers and a few inland rivers where brush severely limit room above and behind the caster and casts in excess of 60' are a rarity.
2) G.Loomis 14' NRX 9/10. I own this rod and man is she a thumper. She really is more of a 9 than a true 9/10 and can really sling some line. This rod is meant for broad tail-outs and those picture perfect runs of even current speed from edge to edge. A couple of multi density scandi heads and an Aerohead makes for a rig that can do most anything I would ask of it.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts