Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my attempted at the Dr. Leonard pattern. Definitely had some struggles with this fly based on the fact that I haven't had much experience with some of the techniques this fly requires. I married a wing together after struggling with the golden pheasant tail for sometime and used all the long/good tail feathers I had. It's on a bigger blind eye hook than I wanted, but its what I had so I went with it. Hope it swings up a fish for you Canecaster! Sorry it isn't top of the line like I wanted it to be, but I gave it one hell of an effort.

Jeff

·
Registered
997 Posts
She's a beauty Chief!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Amgold marries easier than straight golden pheasant tail

I married a wing together after struggling with the golden pheasant tail for sometime and used all the long/good tail feathers I had. [/IMG][/URL]
I learned the hard way the golden pheasant tail doesn't play well in the sand box. Amgold is a great sub and is much, much easier to marry.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That is great! I haven't tied one of these in ages, this is good inspiration to do so. Mohair has great action in the water.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Looks good to me Jeff. I can relate to your frustration with GP tail. Hate that stuff ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very nice . . . and I'd have to think a fish would love to eat it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
5/0!...... I do love big flies. Thank-you Jeff!

J.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Jeff.

[/QUOTE]

I have just returned from a very, very wet trip to Oregon. This was patiently waiting for my return in the mail box. The Dr. Leonard you tied for me is outstanding! Thank-you so very much! Really very exceptional tying and even your great photo does not do this fly proper justice.

I think I made out like a bandit here..... I hope you enjoy the Blue Doctor I sent your way.

Cheers and tight lines
James

1 - 20 of 21 Posts