Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you Tie on and or fish with double hooks?

What sizes are you generally using? What patterns do you use them for?

I was recently looking to get some locally and am having a hard time getting anything other than tiny or huge. I know I can get some with a little effort. Just curious how many uses and how many tiers use them. I had some ideas.

Dan

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
I received a bunch once in a wheatley... sz6's... couldn't give them away.
I believe they just ended up in the bin.

so in the end I never tied one on for two reasons you could easily guess.
three, if we count me potentially wearing one.

cheers,
shawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
We fish doubles for Atlantic Salmon in New Brunswick, but I only order them in size 8 or smaller to make up on the weight lost by a single hook of that size, to use in low water conditions. Some people use them in larger sizes (2-6) in the fall for higher water, though. Really just a matter of preference. All on Daiichis.

·
Blix
87 Posts
As most things with hooks, they're sized differently and you really want to see them. They ride nice and take a little practice to accommodate your tying to find the proportions for your fly. They're illegal where I fish as doubles are much harder on inadvertently hooked salmon parr. You can generally flick a parr off of a single barbless hook without touching it. Not so with doubles, and the second hook will often stick them as well.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
In tying some Rogue River doubles for a framed display recently, all I could find was a friend's box of No. 4 Mustad 3582 C doubles. They should have been size 8 or 10 for properly authentic size. However, they were easy to tie with, even in a non-rotating vise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts