Spey Pages banner

Do you, or would you, use double taper lines for spey fishing?

• Never tried

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Tried occasionally

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Use regularly

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • DT's are still a viable choice

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Historically important, but their time has passed

Votes: 9 20.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the middle of Memorial Day weekend, the weather is decent - and western Washington's streams are closed until Wednesday! :razz: So, for the sake of my sanity, here's another arcane poll:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Viable, Yes

I use DT for a number of reasons. I practice with the DT, it shows more faults. DT can be cut up and use the tapers and bellies for making special line profiles. I still like DT for single hand use. Klem

·
Registered
58 Posts
Double Tapers

I don't fish with them. They are, however, a great practice line. If you have faults with your casting, they'll bring them out in a hurry.
Stan

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
DT Lines

This is the way I voted: "DT's are still a viable choice " I cut up at least 20 a year four custom Skagit Lines. :saeek:

So there is a need for them. :hihi:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Besides being very useful for building skagit type heads they cast pretty nice with an improved extended front taper.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Until say 6/7 years ago, double tapered lines were “the” lines used by almost all anglers over here in Scotland. This mainly being due to quality WF lines not being available to buy. The main suppliers of DT lines were cortland and SA, which is still the case with cortland to this day, although I am not sure about SA.

As has been said already DT lines highlight faults far more than WF lines do.

DT's also gives better control of the fly, through being able to mend the line far easier at long distances. I find mending a short/medium bellied WF, when the running line is 10 or so yards out of the top eye very awkward.

The other beauty with DT lines is their casting life. Due to there being two tapers, once one side is cracked beyond use, it is only a matter of changing the line around and starting from a fresh, with what is in effect a new line.

Although DT do have there pro’s, personally I don’t think I would change back from WF lines. For a start they are far easier to cast, they can cast a lot further, and with the revolution of long bellied WF lines, the problem of mending at distance has been addressed. :)

Gordon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts