Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes them ?
I`m thinking of lining my 14'3" Solstice with a dt , if I can find one . Floater only .

I know that CND makes them , but I`ve been advised that even their lightest dt , will be far too heavy for this stick .

Any suggestions ?

TIA

·
Registered
217 Posts
Right off hand I can't think of any manufacturers any more who make a standard DT heavy enough for your rod. Maybe someone else can chime in here. Having said that, I think that a standard DT-10 (if you can find one) would be a good place to start. I don't think that the GPS DT 7/8/9 would be far too heavy, though It might be on the heavier end. On their rod/line compatibility chart, CND has the 14'3" solstice matched to the 7/8/9/ DT GPS line...remember that the weight listed for that line, is the whole line at 110 feet. Still be a good idea to see if someone will let you test-drive one first.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
I used to have that rod and a DT-9-F was too light, but a DT-10-F matched it nicely. The DT-9-F was a prototype salmon line with a 15' front taper while the DT-10-F was from Orvis and had a regular 8' front taper.

Cortland still sells a 333 DT-10-F. Had one of those and it was fine. Lots of DTs available from the UK dirt cheap.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
DT salmon lines are alive and well on the other side of the pond . Loads to choose from . I enjoy these lines immensely :smokin:

I'm going to guess that you like Nobuo's line recommendations of around 600 grains at 70' for your 14'3" Solstice , at least it's a place to start and you can go from there .

If you plan to fish greater than 75' with spey's that are not too bulky , then go for a DT9F salmon taper . Or if you prefer a lighter load .

If your casting distance is less than 70' or with bigger bulkier flies , or if you prefer a heavier load , then a DT10F salmon taper should do .

Poppy had some SA salmon DT's listed before .... these are great lines . Another favourite of mine are the Worchestsire salmon lines from Shakespeare , pretty much the same as the SA lines . I have some other DT's on the way from the UK as I type this :smokin:

Hope that helped :)

Mike

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
The CND DT should work well on that rod.

SA has quit making the salmon double tapers. I believe I still might have a
9wt or 2 but the 10's and 11's are gone.:(

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,262 Posts
dammit.
The dt is a cruel mistress, but a fair one. and she wears fishnets.
nuff said.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input guys .

It was actually Kush who advised me against using the CND 7/8/9 DT on this Solstice .

Thanks to a member here though , I`ll soon have a new Shakespeare DT10to play with . If it`s on the heavy side for the Solstice , it will probably be a good match for my Burkie .:D

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Thanks for your input guys .

It was actually Kush who advised me against using the CND 7/8/9 DT on this Solstice .

Thanks to a member here though , I`ll soon have a new Shakespeare DT10to play with . If it`s on the heavy side for the Solstice , it will probably be a good match for my Burkie .:D
The DT-10 will load the rod nicely up for regular casting distances. Like Mike said, going really long might require a DT-9, but for usual distances the 10 will load quicker and more positively. A typical DT-10 at 65' weighs just a hair lighter than a GPS 7/8 at the same length so no worries.

I have some Shakie DTs and they're nice and supple. You should like it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just ordered a DT11 from the Orvis website on sale for $20, interested in playing around with traditionaly casting after using the Skagit and Scandi shooting heads.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dead on GR8L.

DT salmon lines are alive and well on the other side of the pond . Loads to choose from . I enjoy these lines immensely :smokin:

I'm going to guess that you like Nobuo's line recommendations of around 600 grains at 70' for your 14'3" Solstice , at least it's a place to start and you can go from there .

If you plan to fish greater than 75' with spey's that are not too bulky , then go for a DT9F salmon taper . Or if you prefer a lighter load .

If your casting distance is less than 70' or with bigger bulkier flies , or if you prefer a heavier load , then a DT10F salmon taper should do .

Poppy had some SA salmon DT's listed before .... these are great lines . Another favourite of mine are the Worchestsire salmon lines from Shakespeare , pretty much the same as the SA lines . I have some other DT's on the way from the UK as I type this :smokin:

Hope that helped :)

Mike
If Poppy can't help google 'flyfishingforum.uk' or the 'completefisherfourm.uk' and the fellows can direct you to several sellers who carry this type of line. Almost all, if not all, UK suppliers are happy to ship to the States (credit cards work just fine). As to posted price, as the line(s) are leaving the UK you won't pay their VAT tax, so it will be less.

fae

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Stephen J Fawcett [www.fawcettsonline.com] are advertising Cortland 444 DT floaters up to a 10wt, priced a £37.99 [which is £10.00 below RRP over here], but as said if buying from the US you should avoid the dreaded VAT at 17.5% & this should largely cover postage I imagine.
Also ask if they have any Shakespeare Worcestershires left as they were previously selling these at a very good price.

Regards, Tyke.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts