Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating trying a 10 wt. DT. on my 8 wt. 14' rod as I am contemplating this for winter fish. I would like to use a sinking poly tip is this reasonable or is this set up suited for a tapered mono leader only? The long belly lines are totally new to me any insights and input from practitioners would be greatly appreciated.

·
Stuck on DT
44 Posts
Hi there. I've never used a sinking poly tip. I don't use sink tips at all actually, but I have a lot of experience with long DT lines.
I'm not sure the DT has the momentum required to turn a heavy tip all that comfortably. I expect it can be done, but another taper - similar to a WF might be better.
I'm generally a long leader fan with my DT. That coupled with acute line management and mending gets a sparsely dressed fly down. It may not get it right down in the rocks, but it should go deep enough for a satisfactory presentation with reasonable chances of success. However, with winter fish and really cold water, this may not be an ideal way of doing it.
For me, the DT and a long, tapered leader, provides maximum pleasure in casting with the two hander. When everything's working right, a person can get some pretty long casts with the ol' DT.
I don't know if this constitutes an answer to your question. I was just excited to see someone enquiring about DT lines. You might like the taper...you may never go back:)
Regards, GK
PS: Read LCH's posts on attaining depth with minimal gadgets.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
A DT-10-F will handle 10' polyleaders just fine. Don't try 15' sinktips on it though as that would be a struggle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, as spey fishing was in its infancy in the Pacific NW, Mike Maxwells' book THE ART & SCIENCE OF SPEYFISHING was one of the bibles we used. I remember Mike's use of the long 120' DT salmon lines, mostly for summer steelhead fishing...but for winter fishing, he advocated cutting most of the taper off the front, attaching loops to the fly line and sink tips, and slinging that combination out over the water. The summer set-up was sweeeeet, and I still use a DT line for summer fishing, but that sink-tip set-up was really difficult and tiresome. Thanks goodness that the Skagit systems were developed!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Someone else who remembers that far back?

Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, as spey fishing was in its infancy in the Pacific NW, Mike Maxwells' book THE ART & SCIENCE OF SPEYFISHING was one of the bibles we used. I remember Mike's use of the long 120' DT salmon lines, mostly for summer steelhead fishing...but for winter fishing, he advocated cutting most of the taper off the front, attaching loops to the fly line and sink tips, and slinging that combination out over the water. The summer set-up was sweeeeet, and I still use a DT line for summer fishing, but that sink-tip set-up was really difficult and tiresome. Thanks goodness that the Skagit systems were developed!
Just my .02 cents. "Back in the Day" a DT line was all you could get, frequently from a fly shop in Canada or the UK. A 'sink tip' was a chunk of LC-13 (LC was lead core line), your only real option save for a full sink line.

A 'sink tip' was had by cutting off the forward taper of a DT (usually two line weights over the rod rating), some did a loop to loop, and have at it. The main line, then and now, has to have enough 'Mass in the A$$' to cast the 'tip,' as did the rod. First generation Sage 9wt's did.

End game was, even then, the fly line had to have more 'grains' than the head to cast the thing. From lots of reading here, it would appear not much has changed. You just don't have to build your own anymore, bless Steve Godshall and his custom cut lines! :smokin:

fae

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
Just to clarify:

You can cut the front taper off of a DT-10-F and loop it to take 15' sinktips. I've done it and it works fine, but like someone else has posted, there are better ways to chuck a tip.

There are intermediate and full sink DTs available and they're not as hard to manage as one might think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I fish a 9wt. Terenzio DT Salmon on my 7 wt. Brownie and Anderson, tipped with a ~7 1/2' Poly furled leader and a few feet of mono tippet. Seems to work.
Cheers,
R

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
I fish a 9wt. Terenzio DT Salmon on my 7 wt. Brownie and Anderson, tipped with a ~7 1/2' Poly furled leader and a few feet of mono tippet. Seems to work.
Cheers,
R
What is poly furled leader?

·
Registered
79 Posts
A furled leader made out of Poly, in this case Coats and Clark mfg., if I make a furled leader out of mono, Or Uni,I name them accordingly.
Cheers,
R

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
they are carefully woven togther strands of mono or silk--- braided down to a taper. Used in trout fishing; mostly dries... for supremely controlled and smooth turnover and gentle landings. just beautiful...... kind of old school and nostalgic, not much applicaiton in steelhead fishing, imo. Ive used them and they are kind of cool.

http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/furled-leaders-frequently-asked-questions.html
I used to throw sinking poly tips (& before that sinking braided leaders) with DT lines, recently for nostalgia's sake I used an old Masterline neutral density DT 10 wt but wanted to knock the fly down a bit further in the streamy water at the head of the pool so I fished a 10 ft slow sink poly tip (the green one) & later the fast sink (brown one), both went out & turned over just fine - as long as I did my part & kept the timing correct.

You may want to trim a foot or two of the tip back as many DT floaters had very fine tips; the joy of the DT is that you can trim one end ( right back if you want to loop 15 ft tips on) & loop it for fishing tips & leave the other end with the fine tip ready looped for long leaders & dry line work. It only takes a couple of minutes to pull it off the reel & reverse it to suit your' requirements, just tie a big loop in the end of your backing that the reel will pass through to save having to feed the whole line through the loop & this will save a lot of time when you do this.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
they are carefully woven togther strands of mono or silk--- braided down to a taper. Used in trout fishing; mostly dries... for supremely controlled and smooth turnover and gentle landings. just beautiful...... kind of old school and nostalgic, not much applicaiton in steelhead fishing, imo. Ive used them and they are kind of cool.

http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/furled-leaders-frequently-asked-questions.html
I understand what furled leader is, in fact I came up with a very simple furling method to furl 3 step leader without a jig and I use Fireline Cristal braid to make them. Zero streach and almost no twist when pressure applied. I just never heard of POLY braided leader.

Airflo delta and Vision Slide tip lines are awesome multitip longer lines. If one could catch a Muskeegon winter steel on a dry line then you are one heck of a dryliner... I wish our winter steelheading would be anything close to NW winters... One must utilize a tip here.

Cutting your dt is the proper way to fish a polytip or any tip for that matter or dynamics of your cast will change.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had used CND double taper for a few years .and if I could use only one line that would be the one .I had use any kind of sink tip to poly leader from 12 to 15 ft if you going to use small sparse fly 15 wuld be ok but if the big heavy fly is needed go to 10 ft. you just need to adjust your casting stroke heavy rigs come slow out of the water may be not easy at the beginnig .but propper technique makes casting this set up a real pleasure .I can not speak for other DT line for my experiece is limeted with a cnd line only . but I been told here by a fella who seem to know what he was talking about that all double tapers are created equal . May I ask wich line your using ? and post your results once try it .have fun out there cheers..

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Unpaid advertisement, but I've dropped a few $15.00 bills.bill.

http:// cutthroatleader.com/

For 'dry line' fishing they're amazing. ONLY THING you have to keep in mind is a Furled Leader is designed/built for a given line weight. Single/2hander are very different, but they're usually two rod weights specific. Some I have are rod/fly size specific (Bamboo rod); MAGIC to watch those lay out over the water. Do not 'fudge' on those designations, you will not be a 'happy camper.'

fae

·
Registered
204 Posts
Longrod, these lines are little different then the CND DT's. CND's have a much longer front taper (35' I think) the John Norris are like old school DT's (15' I think)
Fred, you just sold a couple furled leaders. I just have to try them!
Gordie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts