Spey Pages banner

I am an intermediate / advanced caster and use double speys...

• never while actually fishing

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • great cast, use it often while fishing

Votes: 286 86.1%
  • only while skagit casting to set up pokes

Votes: 22 6.6%
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... how many bother with double speys? The snake roll is so much more efficient and effective and can be done off both shoulders, either hand up without too much difficulty. The only reason I've done any over the last couple of years is to demonstrate to someone who is learning.

While fishing, I never use them because the motion is inefficient and requires so much more energy over the course of the day.

However I always show learners how to do it to deal with the obvious need for downriver anchor situations, unless of course they get the snake roll right off the bat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
double spey

interesting point. i had to think hard but yes i do use double spey in tricky gusty winds with steep bank behind. i prefer snake roll off either shoulder and reversed but still use double spey. the other point is double spey is easiest spey to teach a beginner.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Paul, yes I have done a forward placed double spey when it's appropriate but if the wind is not dictating anchor placement down on the right bank then the snap-T/circle provides more spacing with less energy (more dynamic) requiring even less room on the reverse side. If the space was tighter still I'd opt for a perry poke or a snake poke over the double spey, both take less room behind and are more continuously loaded than a double spey which has to overcome it's own stops and starts.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
I use it less and less as I move more and more to the snake roll but find that there are two or three instances where I do use it still.

1) Early and late -- maybe it is a feel thing but in dark or low-light conditions, I will still tend to go with the double. It is probably a confidence thing but I can double in the dark or with my eyes closed.

2) When working short -- especially with long bellied lines, I prefer to use a slow easy double until I have a good length of belly out.

3) oops -- when fishing tips, it is common to hang up or catch momentarily on the initial move of the snake-roll. When this happens the slingshot effect dooms my snake roll but it is an easy matter to simply morph into a double for that cast.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I never used it when using long belly lines but after playing around with short belly lines and in tight quarters I use it quite a bit especially as mentioned to set up a perry poke

·
Registered
43 Posts
double spey

hey juro, original post did'nt mention these new fangled casts! even us new europeans have'nt caught up with 'snap-t, skagit, perry poke etc. i'm going to try to meet up with ian gordon when he gets back from spey-o-rama to see if he will run me through them. unfortunately i cant go to san fran, i'm on helmsdale that week. so much to do-so lttle time etc

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I never use it. Never practice it either which is probably why I never use it.

I think the snake is a much better tips cast and I just do not like the water noise generated by the double spey. I have been finding the "Snake Poke" (copyright jmukai :) ) to work really well. It works well to just dump the snake and then use a poke to get better directional control if you need something other than the standard 90 degree change of direction the snake provides.

-sean

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I still use the double. I really never
used circle or snake rolls until recently.
I do think the double will be used much
less for me in the future.

Kevin

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I use the double spey a lot. I find it is better than the snake roll when fishing with sink tips for exactly the reason Sinktip stated in his post. When using a floating line, I use the snake when casting less than 70 ft and the double spey when casting over 70 ft, especially when using an extended belly line (GS or XLT), because I find it easier to move the extra line with the double spey. I also find the double spey a better cast when fishing with limited backcast room.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Flytyer,

I agree that the double is easier if there is limited room behind you. My experience though on ease of moving long bellied lines tends to be that the snake-roll is much easier.

I am anxious for you and I to hook up as I want to get your read on the 1509-3 and the 7/8 GS. It feels doggy with the snap or the double but rocks with the snake-roll.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Sinktip,

You are finding out what I've been talking about when I say that the 1509-3 needs to have a stronger mid-section. It shows up when you are double or snap-T'ing tips with it. This slower, less robust mid-section causes the rod to have what I call a "dead spot" in the middle of the rod when casting the longer lines. It is also what has kept me from buying one and it is something that I've recently spoken to Trey about (who agrees with me on it) once again to see if he might be able to get Trevor to change it and also offer it as a 4 or 5 piece rod.

I always like to fish with you, you are a good fisherman and very good company. Name the day and place.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use the double as a major staple, second only to the single, for fishing situations. Never really grew any fondness for the snake.

Sinktip- A line I really like on the 1509 is the TT#8. When consistantly picking up the entire head, it just seems to flow. The XLT 7/8, and especially the GS 7/8, collapse the rod and make it a bear to cast. Lighten up and you will love the rod again. Once you find the sweet stroke to cast the light TT, go back and try one of the heavy lines that you used to like. It will make the rod feel like it's going to break and that dead spot shows up like a sore thumb.

William

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Uh... what is a double spey?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Kush -
I am begining to see what PKK was referring to awhile back - how can you claim to be an"expert" and talk the spey talk when you do not understand or know even the basics!!!! :>))

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
PS - one cannot claim to be an expert dodo caster unless he can really foul up a double spey!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
although i voted that it's a good cast and i use it I have to clarify that i ONLY use it while fishing sink tips.. the nice slow pace allows me to be sure i am not going to kill myself with a bad cast.. floating line I never use it..

also I never use pokes unless i screw up...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
also I never use pokes unless i screw up...

Glad to know 'someone else' is a 'do-do' caster and knows one of the great 'recovery casts' for what it is. You can talk yourself out of 'embarrising situations' by saying (you just blew a cast) 'darn it's tough!! to throw a ''busted cast on command,'' but here's how you recover.' Snigger, snigger.
:devil:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
YEA HA!!!

PS - one cannot claim to be an expert dodo caster unless he can really foul up a double spey!!
Finally, something I'm good at. Just call me a "DODO Caster Jedi Master" because I can royally foul up the double spey.:hehe:

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Test casting one afternoon, I found the Triangle Taper #10 to be a good match with the T&T 1509. Similar to the Midspey 9/10 in weight, yet cast more like the Midspey 8/9 in feel. Different tapers I suppose. I never got close to the flat spot. This is my tips rod, and the 65' - 70' lines are nice mindless casting tools for that.

For reference, see grains of a few lines below

TT8 = 532 gr (65')
TT9 = 598 gr (70')
TT10 = 718 gr (70')

Midspey 8/9 = 640 gr (65')
Midspey 9/10 = 725 gr (65')

1 - 20 of 87 Posts