Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a "GO TO" pattern for me on my home river !!
In my opinion it's fishy-sexy :smokin::smokin:

Tied this one on a McNeese #3 Blue Heron and in two-toned purple colour combination ... my favorite !! Dark purple heron up front and light purple polar bear for the tail and used the underfur for the rear half of the body. Dark purple seal came from John, FeathersMC :)
I like a bit of flash in the trunk and tried to keep it buggy and shrimpy at the same time.

Mike

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
This is a killer prawn pattern. Well done. I love purple too. It is one of the best steelhead colors, in my mind at least. I may need to tie s few. Looks like pheasant rump for tje wing?

Nate

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Purple will NEVER let you down. Fine work Mike....

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys, much appreciated :):)

Yes, dyed purple pheasant rump over GP tippets cut into a "V" for the wing.

Cameron, the hackle was razor split from the back end of a heron saddle. The original feather was 12-14 inches long. I had about 7" of it left but the stem was really thick and not for wrapping. I took the razor to it for a thin strip on both sides. It looks really dense, but the barbules are thick and webby compared to regular heron. I'm hoping the fly just needs a good wash to soften the hackles and separate them. I should have pre-washed it before tying, but for some reason I find splitting stems easier if the feather hasn't been softened.

I need to tie a couple more colour combinations before the rivers thaw.

Mike

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My mentor uses a red GP tippet cut into a v on his purple GP's, they are deadly!
Nice fly Mike!

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Very nice Mike! I can see why that pattern would be effective in the GL

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Administrator
18,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mentor uses a red GP tippet cut into a v on his purple GP's, they are deadly!
Nice fly Mike!
That sounds nice :smokin:
I do a bright orange rear and black front GP with red GP and a all bright orange GP with red GP too.
Green GP is nice on the Double Purple or solid purple GP.

The GP could be mistaken for crayfish or large stonefly nymphs ... or just some creature antagonizing a playful steelhead :D

Mike

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Man. I missed this post.

That thing looks crazy good. Dark with great contrast (especially with those tippets). And you know that bear will sparkle on the rear.

Easy to be a favorite.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a "GO TO" pattern for me on my home river !!
In my opinion it's fishy-sexy :smokin::smokin:

Tied this one on a McNeese #3 Blue Heron and in two-toned purple colour combination ... my favorite !! Dark purple heron up front and light purple polar bear for the tail and used the underfur for the rear half of the body. Dark purple seal came from John, FeathersMC :)
I like a bit of flash in the trunk and tried to keep it buggy and shrimpy at the same time.

Mike
That fly says Steelhead

1 - 16 of 16 Posts