Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

What is your favorite double hook? After hearing a lot about how they actually might be better for fish as opposed to singles I am going to give them a spin when the stripers come back in the spring. Which ones do you reccomend?

-sean

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Doubles...

For Atlantics, certainly the Loop doubles, and for tubes, the shorter shank Loop tube doubles are IMHO the best produced so far.

I have used standard Partridge Wilson Doubles, Partridge Big Mouth Doubles (BMG), and Salar doubles, and all these have problems:

The Wilson's are brittle, and I have had the points snap off;
The BMG's are on too fine wire IMO;
The Salar's have a much narrower gape, and I have seen them being straightened on hard fighting fish.

My 2p

Mike

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have spent time fishing the wilson doubles and also the heavier version which I think is a code P or Q ? not sure as I have not seen the heavy wt's in years and can't seem to find my stash of those. The G.P was made for a double and thats what I primarily used them for when man made fish were around. landing ratio was around 85% which for me was outstanding. Also like the way they would swim the fly as it would always ride true in the current. Never got around to trying the short shank doubles for tubes but would imagine they would be pretty awsome.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
sean-
ive got some extra sets of daiichi doubles laying around that you are more then welcome to. i wont be using them anytime soon and i hate see them laying around collecting dust. ill pile up what i have and send them off to you. any particular sizes??

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Neat stuff

have you noticed how often something like the last two posts happens on the Board? Brian mentions a need and Sparky jumps in and meets it - worth a lot more than the $40/year for the connections and information that is provided.
2p (for Malcolm)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Sean
Sprite low water doubles (or Partridge) Sprites are definately cheaper and once you've pressed the hooks together they're identical to the Partridge .
Cheers

G

·
Here's another vote for the Loop Salmon doubles. However, they are only available up to size #2. Early June fishing on the Restigouche or Grand Cascapedia sometimes calls for larger hooks. Then I use Partridge P (standard wire) or Q (lower water) doubles. Even those are hard to find in sizes larger than #1 these days. However, I've got quite a supply from previous purchases and also use Gaelic Supreme for the 2/0 and larger sizes.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Jr Spey
Doubles LARGER than #4 ?:Eyecrazy: There ain't that kind of water that's FISHABLE on this continent ! Single2/0 and larger have sufficient keel to keep da fly "upright" ! Besides 1 1/2 in. and longer flybody is tube fly territory and with SMALLER hooks will do LESS damage to the fish which of course will be released:smokin:
Cheers

G

·
Salar-1,

My two doubles fly boxes that I usually carry with me have almost 70 doubles in them total. Perhaps 8 or 10 of those flies are #4 and everything else is bigger. Saying you can't catch fish on those larger flies is just wrong as I do it regularly. In high water years if you're not willing to use larger flies you're not likely to catch fish. More and more I've moved to tubes for much of my salmon fishing, but getting the depth (6" or so) that one needs in high, cold water is harder to do with a plastic tube and any metal tube is illegal in most Canadian Atlantic salmon waters. I assume you meant "insufficient" instead of "sufficient" in your second sentence, and I find that's not true, either. I regularly check the drift on a fly after tying it on and only rarely does that appear to be a problem. You know, for years 4/0, 5/0 and even larger flies were used regularly on these same waters and are still being used in waters like the Alta. If such flies wouldn't run right they never would have gained popularity. I think the comment about damage to the fish is speculation, just like going barbless for salmon hooks. Where I fish they encourage us to use larger flies and to use barbed hooks as it is their experience that the larger flies do not do more damage, and that a certain blood vessel is less likely to be severed when barbed hooks are used. I have no idea whether there's any basis for those two views, but that is what we're told. And you will not find anyone who is more obsessed with treating fish well than owners and guides in Canada (at least where I fish.)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Jr. Spey
Nope, I did mean sufficient (in those sizes anyway) I too ,check a fly for its swimming characters and yep., LARGE singles do have enough keel to keep them upright ,and yes, a large/long tube is so much gentler on a fish .Especially on savage early season takers whwerea larger profile fly is "needed" .I've just seen too many fish buggered up by large irons! My boxes are exectly the opposite of yours.At last count roughly 400 doubles and 4 are larger than #4!
Cheers

G

·
And we both catch fish. At least I assume you do. I mis-read your previous post and didn't see the single hook reference regarding upright. Actually, I seem to have more trouble keeping singles upright than I do doubles. If you don't use large irons and seem surprised that anybody does, where have you seen "too many fish buggered up by large irons?" I find that a lot of people just assume that to be the case and then state it as gospel on forums like this. I tend to believe the guys who run camps and have everything to lose when a fish gets hurt. The places I fish don't seem to mind large flies at all, and actually encourage you to use them during high, cold water. I carry many flyboxes with me when I go salmon fishing. For one thing I'm often gone a full month, and I tend to fish three or four rivers during that time. Therefore, I do have boxes with smaller flies, some of which are quite a bit smaller. They just don't usually end up going with me during high, cold water situations. If I need them later in the month or on another river it is certainly easy to change boxes. I also don't carry dozens of large flies, but I always have a few. I probably use #2 standard wire doubles as much as all the rest of the sizes put together---except during low water years. Last year, the Matapedia and Restigouche were quite low even in early June, and therefore I don't think I fished a fly larger than a #4 the whole month. That is the exception, though.

G

·
Sometimes you guys try to be so clever I have no idea what you're trying to say. Are you inferring that you have a problem with double hooks? Ignoring the fact that this has nothing to do with the content of this thread, may I simply say that that kind of comment borders on ignorance. You'll find that probably close to 90% of the Atlantic salmon fishers in the big waters of Quebec use them, even down to the fairly small sizes later in the year. I don't use them for steelhead normally, although I like the Loop double tube hook so much that I use that occasionally. But for big Atlantic salmon early in the year they are just far more effective. They ride better and manage to get just those couple of inches deeper that can make all the difference. You know, fishing for Atlantics in early June is tough enough without having to deal with biases like that. But, perhaps I misinterpreted your comment.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You should be spanked !! As should ANYONE using bigger 'n 2/0 DOUBLES !!!
BTW: GB, If the double hook was a female fisherman (yes folk, it IS fisherMAN and NOT fisher) ,would that make her 1/2 the man also ?
Cheers
Double the hook . Half the man!!!!:devil:
PS: 41cm of snow in gaspe on the weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sorry guys!! Just tryin to be a little light hearted. Didnt mean anything negative.. Really. I think the double flies are very beautiful, and they certainly swim nice. Back when we were allowed to use them I tried partridge wilson doubles and they were nice low water flies.. :)

G

·
GB,

Thanks for that response. I'm serious when I say I feel a lot better now.

I would agree more with Salar-1 had he said that about single hooks larger than 2/0. It is my humble opinion that large single hooks tend to do more damage to a fish than large doubles. I think that fades away somewhere around size #4. I carry a few very large single hook flies, but I can't ever recall tying one on to actually use. I guess everyone's experience can tend to be different, but 2/0 double hook flies do catch fish, and I've never had one that wasn't easily released. I'd love to be able to use large tube flies with #2 or #4 double tube hooks, but I just can't get them to ride as deeply as is often needed (6-8 inches) in fast, high water. Since metal tubes are not legal throughout most, if not all, of maritime Canada, if anyone has ideas on how to solve that problem, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
GB :
No offence taken and BTW ,thought it was rather witty !
JR :
Have ya tried Bartleet Supreme's ? I personally don't go larger than #1 but they do go as high as 1/0. a Lady Caroline tied on a 2/0 Bartleet Tradition has been known to catch a fish or two in high early June waters .:D
If you really want the fly to sink, Gamakatsu makes a salt water O'shaunessy hook That is SERIOUSLY heavy . Got this tip from the NB boys.
As far as Brass tubes they're allowed in Qc and, I believe ,tolerated in NB,not allowed in NS (?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Double Hooks

I too like the Loop doubles, but use the Gaelic Supremes quite abit. I believe they're the only handmade iron on the market these days.

Partridge Bartleet doubles are pretty nice, especially for a low water style of dressing.

Regarding the ethics, I believe in the smaller sizes, a single hook can cause more damage than a double. I believe the fine wire single #10 is more apt to slice a larger wound than a #10 double.

I read somwhere that there had actually been a study done in the UK that showed mortality was actually higher with singles. Do any of you folks across the pond know of this study. I would love to see a copy of it, and forward to Newfoundland fish and game (now illegal to fish doubles on the Rock or Labrador). There's talk of banning them in NB too. Would hate to see that.

Best,
Red Piner

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hello #2/0 bartleet Ladycaroline has been one of my Sleeper flies on the Thompson for a number of years. pick pocketed a very famous guy on his favourite run with this fly fished very slow , after 2 or 3 guys went through it!! Got love that..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts