Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mostly for the steelheaders (Sorry to those of you in the North Atlantic) The use of double hooks for steelhead? Who uses them, who doesn't? Why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use them where legal

I use them when and where they are legal. That said, I do not do it for any fish hooking/catching reasons......I just think that you can not beat the aestetics of a classic hairwing pattern tied on a double. Just my two cents.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Yes

I also use them I love the look but I also think they are better for the fish for a few reasons. That said I only have about 3 years experience to draw on so I may be completly wrong.

I have found that the hook is always towards the end of the Steelheads mouth which keeps the point away from eyes and brain.

I have found the fish are so securely hooked that I can use even more pressure than normal and land them very quickly and get them on their way.

So far I advocate the use of doubles, especially for C&R fishing.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
it has been my experience

that(with single hooks size 6 and up) the smaller fish (smolt),can get hooked thru an eye if they take and turn,i'm sure you've witnessed that,is seems they also won't take the fly as deep when using doubles(smolt can be an ever present part of your `catch per day' here,they are nearly unavoidable),i pinch the barbs most of the way down,enough so that a headshake won't toss the hook,but it is easy to release a fish with hemos,and of course when using traditional (winged)patterns of the Rogue,(the oldtimers call them `Rogue Doubles'),,,and` in action',,the doubles keel the fly as well as add to the overall look of the fly,the hook bends being `legs';) ,it also seems once hooked,,they stay hooked,:hihi: ,there's my `02 cents worth

·
Registered
17 Posts
Although I've never fished for steelhead, I thought that you may be intrested in hearing about the use of doubles for atlantics. Over here they are probably the most common type of hook used, personally, I do not doubt the hooking and C and R quality of them but have had a couple of fish on larger singles (ie #6 and up). doubles tend to fish nicley aswell as getting down a bit deeper in streamy water. Im going to be doing a fair bit of experimenting with singles in the '06 season.

Blair

·
Sorry horible English
83 Posts
i'm also just fishing Atlatik S and Seatrout but doubles in my opinion stand Better in the water than singles.
For realy smal sices I prefer trebles:saevilw:
Benjamin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts