Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to Gaspe again in 2015 and starting to think about tying, of course. Preparing for the trip is half the fun! On previous trips up there I have noticed that double hooks are used by some folks up there. I have never used doubles and have a couple questions:

1 - who makes the nicest double hooks?
2 - in your experience, is your hook up percentage better or worse with doubles?
3 - why are you using doubles, is it primarily for extra weight?
4 - are you using doubles primarily for smaller flies?
5 - what size doubles are you using and why?

Thanks for your input!!

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
1 - Partridge and Mustad are my favorite.
2 - Same/similar. Landing percentage is slightly better.
3 - Because you have to be sure.
4 - Yes and no.
5 - Size 4/5 thru size 12/13s. Some flies are bigger than others.

Over and out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply

and a bump to see if anyone else has a comment to provide

·
Steelhead junkie
342 Posts
When I was up there this summer, the guide frowned on them, causes more damage to fish. I did lose one nice Atlantic, but I don't think a double hook would have mattered, it just wasn't interested in being landed.

Have fun preparing. i tied a good 120 flies for the trip in over 20 patterns, used only 5 patterns, but the selection was nice to have.

The tiger ghost produced well up there. Instead of traditional black and yellow deer hair, I used arctic fox, and for the white deer hair used polar bear. The fly really moved nice in the water and attracted attention.

http://www.quebecsporting.com/main.php?g2_itemId=602

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If you can find them .. and that may be a problem

I am going to Gaspe again in 2015 and starting to think about tying, of course. Preparing for the trip is half the fun! On previous trips up there I have noticed that double hooks are used by some folks up there. I have never used doubles and have a couple questions:

1 - who makes the nicest double hooks?
Without question the Salar SilverDoubles are 'The Bee's Knees.'
2 - in your experience, is your hook up percentage better or worse with doubles?
With little exception, fish touches, and FISH ON!
3 - why are you using doubles, is it primarily for extra weight?
Not really, amazing how a fish that size can take a hook/fly and reject. You had no idea he/she was even there. With a double the line just goes tight in your fingers.
4 - are you using doubles primarily for smaller flies?
Kind of a 'Yes and No.' But largest hooks I use (seldom) are #4's. Usually 6 to 10's. 12's are a total toss up, and really don't have enough 'steel' to keep a good sized fish hooked ... for long.
5 - what size doubles are you using and why?
Back to #1 and a Google search to see if I can find some more (will be out of Europe no doubt).

Thanks for your input!!
Read your game regulations, double/tripples (why anyone would want to go with three points looses me). Small ties, really small on low/clear/cold water off a long leader. Even the Dog knew "The Hunt Dr. Watson, is on."

God it could get cold on the upper end of the Washington 'S Rivers'. When your line froze up in the guides it was time to go home.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Alot of my smaller patterns are on doubles! Plus i lose less fish on doubles and always pinch the barbs. I feel smaller sizes dont harm fish too much. Sinking faster is nice if you want too.

I have done well with partridge and Gaelic supreme doubles. They all look cool IMO.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
A new hook to me.

A lot of my smaller patterns are on doubles! Plus I lose less fish on doubles and always pinch the barbs. I feel smaller sizes don't harm fish too much. Sinking faster is nice if you want too.

I have done well with partridge and Gaelic supreme doubles. They all look cool IMO.
Have a web link to these? :smokin: Shakie hands limit what I can, but do have friends that can. Bottle of a good Single Malt will get you a box of flies. ;)

fae

·
Registered
305 Posts
My feeling is that the small tube doubles that I use on my large early June flies do a lot less damage than the large 1/0-3/0 irons that many (and I used to) use in high spring water.

·
Dreamer
525 Posts
My feeling is that the small tube doubles that I use on my large early June flies do a lot less damage than the large 1/0-3/0 irons that many (and I used to) use in high spring water.
Im with you here, for sure. Even the larger size doubles seem to have smaller gapes and points and the like that equivalent irons. I think they are better for both the fish and the fisherman and I know the UKers have studies that show this.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I also concur.

A large single, say a 1/0, which goes in at a 90 degree angle can penetrate quite deeply & may reach a blood vessel.

A smaller double [& you can go smaller as you have the holding power of two points of attachment] with its splayed points penetrating at say a 45 degree angle [the angle varies between manufacturers but is generally somewhere around here] & with the correspondingly smaller gape of the hooks, does not penetrate to anything approaching the depth which a big single may reach.

With pinched barbs it just pops out when you invert the hook & doesn't do any significant damage as the hook is in or just below the skin & not deeply into the underlying flesh.

I still like the Salars [& luckily stock piled quite a few in the range of colours - silver, gold & black] also the old Partridge "P" doubles are strong & good to tie on. The Sawada hooks are usually strong & reliable, I particularly like their tube doubles; and use the Owner tube doubles on lighter tube flies.

The guideline ones are nice - & seem very similar to the Sawada's, same manufacturer perhaps?

I never got on with the Loop ones, I just didn't like the shape or downturned eye for tying on, but friends of mine swear by them & find them very good - so it's probably just another of my personal ideosyncracies which I find are increasing since I turned 50!

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
879 Posts
When I first started tying Atlantic salmon flies, I happened into a big lot of Sprite (the company who made Gaelic Supreme) doubles. I've never had any problems with them, despite hearing complaints from some people. I've also done well with Partridge P doubles. Also, Loop and Guideline tube doubles. I've tied a few flies on Loop down eye doubles, but have yet to hook a fish on one.

Most of my double hook flies are small...sizes 8-12. I've caught fish on doubles up to size 2, but mainly use tubes for large flies now.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
I know this is a stupid question but can you use doubles anywhere in the US and if not why?

I've always been curious but shy!:chuckle:

KC

·
Registered
879 Posts
There are tidal stretches of rivers here in CT where I use tube doubles for stripers and sea run browns. Pretty much anything goes short of trot lines.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I know this is a stupid question but can you use doubles anywhere in the US and if not why?

I've always been curious but shy!:chuckle:

KC
Not sure about US but in BC when fishing in streams it is single barbless hook only. Guess there was too much snagging, and they have to regulate for other gear types.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts