Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here's a cast i've been playing with,,,the scene,standing midriver along the main flow amidst rocks,some protruding,thin frogwater behind you,plenty of room for a backcast,river moving right to left,,working a tailout of a slick,you've seen fish roll in the section ,and in fact know `they' should be there,or moving thru,so after your last swing thru you `think you got plucked',,after the dangle you decide,`i'll just overhead this baby',so,body position ;left shoulder downstream,,,,lower grip against you and slightly to left of your `pantspocket',,,a couple strips in the get the flies on top,then,while retaining a looped upperhand index finger around the line you,,,,all in one motion,,pull back,,,upriver HARD with your right ,UPPER hand,to sweep the rod across your body,,left to right,,,while hauling line with your left hand downward to your left `pantspocket',of course you must lean back to do it,stop hard at 1:00,,so,as the line goes bye overhead,,,and the rod loses it's `load',,,,,,all at once you,,,pick the rod up slightly ,,,regain your grip with the lower hand,still holding the line you hauled,,,,,,,,,as you stand strait,the tip goes out from your body,,setting the start of the change of direction,then as the line straightens,you allow it to load,shifting the hand/fulcrum slightly to aid with the loading,,,as you would with a single hander,then the twist,swing,aim ,shoot,,,you can also `pop' the rod up during the slack period and move the bottom grip to the other side of your leg,and haul again on the forward `drive',,you must` wedge ' the rod against you thru these motions ,,,and yes this cast works with 18 ft'rs,,,,so,,anyone else have any unusual casts they've been using:D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
...while with your third hand, you...

It's not clear to me how you make a hauling stroke with your left, lower hand while maintaining a grip on the butt of the rod. Do you let go of the lower butt momentarily? If so, how do you keep the rod (especially an 18-footer) from pinwheeling out of your grasp?:whoa:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let's describe it this way;lay out 30 ft. of line to your left,hold the base of the rod against your midsection, now, with the top hand only;sweep the line back and forth across the front of you,from left to right,allowing the line to stop,on the grass each time,then picking it back up,casting to the other side of you,stopping,,etc,etc,see where i'm going,,at any,,,, `distance';you must ;`double haul'to make it work,hard to describe the mechanics,,it'd be easier to show someone,does workwell,,for the times when you have `buckfever' and want to deliver a quick cast at mid.like 60 ft. distances quickly:chuckle:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts