Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that there has been some thoughts about doublehanded rods for trout. In a lot of stream situations I can see the logic, but it never occurred to me that they could in any way be applicable to lake fishing - let alone chironomid fishing. Well, I was wrong.

Let me preface this with some background. I am going into the Dean in early August (definitely priority one in my little world right now :smokin: ). I slipped in the boat in mid-June and strained my rotator cuff - not a good thing. I have been getting physio and looking after it, so I'm fine for the Dean.

Well, early July has for the past 30 odd years meant a trip into the same Cariboo Lake and superb chironomid fishing. We were still heading up, but I was concerned with the effect of 10 days of overhead casting on the rotator. Then it struck me - I have a couple of CND Expert 6/7's ... Using 2 hands would be easy on my shoulder and the 6/7's are very soft rods - it might work.

Well, to shorten the story - I may never use my single handers for chironomids at Sheridan again! I was concerned about how smaller fish would feel on the rods, it wasn't an issue - even 14 and 16" trout bent the rods down into the cork - and the 3-4lb'ers were awesome - I think the 13' rods create as much leverage for the fish as they do for the fisherman!

My other big concern was which line to use - as I have no 6wt spey lines. However, as I wasn't intending to speycast, I would overhead so I figured I'd try my regular 6 wt single hand wt forward lines. They worked great, even with 28' leaders I was casting 70-80' with ease. I was in fact, casting way further than necessary in some serious winds - while sitting down! My Sheridan Lake chronies, who were laughing when I walked down to the boat with the rods, were were shaking their heads in disbelief :smokin: while I was casting.

While I don't imagine that a new double handed craze on BC lakes will result from my escapades, it did open my eyes to the possibilities for light double-handers and trout fishing. In my case it was an injury that precipitated using the rods, the possibilities are great for people who might need or want the capabilities of double handers for trout

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kush,

I think they call them boat rods over where they fish in "LOCHS". Anyway, must have been a hoot! I'm thinking of bringing a two hander to the Charlottes if I have the room. Look forward to seeing you overhead on Tues?:whoa:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andre,

If a chopper buzzes you then you'll know it was me!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Two rods that are 'Jim Dandies' for this ..

application are R B Meisers 5-6 switch rod or the 11-3 Redington Redfly 6-7 that Bob modified for me with the butt extention. Either rod is set up for 'trout fishing' and have proven themselves very worthy on the Holy Water section of the Rogue.

The Meiser 5-6 switch rod is as light as a feather and just booms out the WC 4-5-6 line and flys as small as #18's and 3# tippet material. A very cool deal and plenty of 'umph' to handle larger fish in slow/still water conditions.

The Redington requires a slightly heavier line but will also handle the smaller sized flys but does need tippet in the 4-6# range to keep it from 'blowing' the fly off due to line speed.
fae

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fred,

I have a rumour that Nobuo will be bringing some prototype "single and a half" spey rods with him when we go to the Dean in early August. While I don't think the 4/5/6 weight rods will be appropriate for a "Dean Rocket" - I am now very interested in seeing what he has created.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've been thinking for a long time about building a rod about 11' for talking to the Elk for bull trout. I think a two hander would be perfect for throwing those big streamers a long distance.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Roger that Pete.

I normally use a 'regular length' DT 7 wt on this rod. Just got my 4-5-6 WC for the Meiser switch rod and haven't had a chance to try this line. But suspect the next WC 'x-x-x' up would be a better fit.
fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred

Fred, I will be adopting one of Bob's 5/6 Switch Rods this week. Bob is building me a new one and shipping it this week.

What reel do you use with this rod, that holds the WC 5/6 floating line? Also, how much backing do you use with this reel and the WC 5/6 line.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, maybe the 3'rd time will be the charm.

Man, the internet is plugged tonight.

GS, for the 5/6 switch rod I use a very simple Plug. Medalist 1595 1/2. Reel holds the 5/6 WC well with about 100 yards of 20# backing. Also have (somewhere!!) the largest sized Plug. Supreme which weighs more and might be a better balance.

Considering what we're fishing for couldn't see overkilling the budget ("economic prudence" as Hal would say) for this rod. Combo works well, light and easy in the hand.
fae

Pete: "I feel your pain!" You're not alone on these long range hook sets. Probably why I try to stick with light wire hooks and add bead/cone heads or .015 wire to weight the buggers. At that range, the fish either hooks himself ... or he doesn't.

fae

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred

Thanks for the reel data re Bob's 5/6.

I have a good collection of various 5 and 6 weight lines and reels which will work okay. When you get into the Spey lines with these light rods, you get into another reel.

Re catching the fish at a distance with Spey Rods or Bob's rods.

With the indicators, I seem to have no problem or with a weighted sinking fly. The Spey rods are great for shad.

I have the problem with the dry and floating flies at a distance. My son said to quit *****ing about losing the hits. If I didn't have the Spey rods or Bob's two handed rods to get me out in the river, I wouldn't be getting the hits. So, I'm getting hits that 99% of fisher never get with the distance.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred

It is Karma.

He is correct. The beginning Spey addicts like me suddenly find our selves casting out into the rivers to where the fish are.

Then if we are lucky, we get strikes because we have the right fly out where the fish hang out, (just past normal single hand casting distance). Then we complain about the strikes we miss.

His comment was "Dad at least, now your flies are out far enough to get strikes. "

·
loco alto!
2,991 Posts
Peter -

I don't use a spey rod for trout, but I do regularly swing soft-hackles at 80' using my 4 wt. Perhaps this sounds excessive, but on big wide flats with caddish coming off it does the trick. I catch trouties from 10-18" doing this. I don't have the same problem with hookups that you mention. In fact, just the opposite.

With so much line out, all I do is let the line gradually tighten up (not unlike a steelhead swing - I'm a passive hooker - until I think I have them, then I set the hook once or twice for the ride). My success rate actually increases with more line out on wet fly swings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts