Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking to buy a double hander specifically for the salt. Taken a double hander a few times with me when fishing in the surf and used it to cast heads with an over head cast.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
What are you fishing for?

That can make a difference. T&T, CND have specific models for this. In my experience many of the shorter two handed rods should work well for this. You will also find a lot of information in the archives with the search function.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I've played around with this a little over the years and have come to prefer a rod somewhere around 11ft long for this purpose. If you are not strip-retrieving the fly close to shore then a longer rod is probably fine although not really necessary. Also, if you are swinging the fly in current after overhead casting then a longer rod is great.

Extra length works against you on rocks, a boat, when wading especially, etc. If you are fishing for fish that hunt their prey too much rod reduces the fishability at the end of the retreive, the 'red zone' on the beach when most fish hit. Too short and you might as well have a single hander though.

The best choice will depend on the fishery and your approach to it. Even in the northeastern shore there is a place for full spey action rods and floating spey lines albeit practiced by a specific group of anglers who fancy the technique.

The CND Atlantis is designed for hunting the hunter on the beach and works well with shooting heads, full lines and shorter length spey lines. It comes in an 11/12wt and a 9/10wt model.

casting clip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ted,
It is mainly going to be European sea bass which are not big fish. From the shore 6lb is a good fish. I would probably take it to MA with me in June and Sept for some stripers and blues.

I have been using a Sage 12'6" #8 traditional which feels a bit too sloppy for overhead casting.

Have considered the Atlantis, but only got a brief eyeball on one last year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good Juro, I think the crew I am coming over with are supposed to be hooking up with the CAC at some stage.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The TFO 1212 is one of the benchmark rods for your application. You will be totally satisfied with the action, versitility, components, workmanship, the price AND their customer service. I recommend you drop Mike at the Red Shed (www.redshedflyshop.com) an e mail and get one headed your way. It is an awesome stick.

·
1,771 Posts
jamie -

For 6# fish the 12wt would be overkill, I would recommend looking at one of the lighter two-handers that T&T, Loomis and of course CND produces in an overhead-friendly configuration.

Looking forward to your coronation at that CAC :D

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
jamie

From what you are hunting, it sounds like the lighter Atlantis or one of Bob Meiser's shorter rods would be the ticket. He is a site sponsor and has a number of his rods being used for this type of application.

·
1,771 Posts
Ah yes, how could I forget Bob's works of art in this fishery! I wouldn't at all doubt if Bob would send a demo out to one of the area shops for you to test out during your visit jamie. Maybe you can convince him to come out in person!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Especially if there is the promise of a little guided striper fishing to go with the trip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice

Definitely given me some items to consider, thanks.

Look forward to chatting with you Juro. Last time we met, it was on the Rip Ryder you had a client in tow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts