Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone come up with a generalised number of those anglers who use Spey rods, or DH overhead casting rods in the USA/Canada. I'm trying to find out the usage of DH rods, paricularly for East and West Coast beach fishing, and the fish they catch. Mostly stripers and blues I guess. Kind of curious, and if anyone who does do the beach fishing thing with DH outfits, what are they, are there any problems, with lines, fish handling etc. Max

·
Registered
254 Posts
Max,

I've tried to email you a few times since I lost my hard drive, but to no avail. I can say that here in the Puget Sound there are two. Me and Sean. There are one or two others but I haven't fished with them. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How about 2,000 two handed fishers who own and use more than 1 rod

"Could anyone come up with a generalised number of those anglers who use Spey rods, or DH overhead casting rods in the USA/Canada.Max[/QUOTE]"

Last year at the Marin Fly Fishing show, my son heard some rod manufacturers talking. He heard the number 2,000 good Spey customers in the US/Canada used a couple of times. These were people who owned more than 1 rod and line and used them at least monthly.

The same people said the old 10% rule came into play with the 2,000. That ten % or two hundred owned 90% of the rods, lines and reels used for Spey fishing. Probably most of that 10% use this site and 3/4 of them donate to keep the site going.

Besides the Spey Class last May in Sacramento, I have seen one other spey caster on countless trips in N California, my son.

"I'm trying to find out the usage of DH rods, paricularly for East and West Coast beach fishing, and the fish they catch. Mostly stripers and blues I guess. Kind of curious, and if anyone who does do the beach fishing thing with DH outfits, what are they, are there any problems, with lines, fish handling etc. Max[/QUOTE]"

I have friend who lives in the Jacksonville, Floriduh area. He fishes at least twice a week, 100 miles up or down the coast from Jacksonville. He sees maybe one two handed rod user a month.

My oldest son is on the California Delta 50 to 100 times a year. He sees two people using Meise's two handed switch rods, another customer of Bob's and me.

Last October, I fished an entire week on the Chetco, lower Rogue and the mouth of the Oregon rivers from the California border to Gold Beach. I was the only guy with a two handed rod.

In N. California on the coast we often get incredibly strong westward winds by mid morning. Ken Hanley and the other good Pacific coast fly fishers basically consider the cast window closed by early mid morning due to wind. So you have a few hours from sunlight to mid morning. Then fishing is only really good when you have a high tide in that window before the wind kicks up. Tide tables show very few good high tide opportunities during that narrow morning window. Most of us really don't want to get up a couple of hours before dawn drive a couple of hours and have maybe a few hours to catch a few ocean perch. :razz: Most of the Ca coastal flyfishing is in southern California and down the coast of Baja.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yep just Matt and I that I have seen overheading on the beach but have heard of a few others. Funny thing is Matt and myself are the definite minority but even we have different styles. He goes heavy and long with a pronounced underhand stroke. I am a short and light guy with a more sidearm delivery. Both are effective and goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Fun stuff and hope to run into some more folks this year. It is lonely out there...

-sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have done taken some trips to the local NoCal beaches this winter, overhead casting a 13' St Croix for perch. I started using the spey rod on the beach just because I enjoy these rods so much. On the duller days I have been able to pick up fish throughout the day.

During the summer months the fly bite on the beaches is very early and the wind does pick up later in the mornings. The bigger issue for me at least is once it gets bright the fishing gets much harder. The great advantage in the summer is structure left over from the winter storms and the opportunity to catch large numbers of quality perch. I was using a single handed rod for these trips. Certainly next summer will see me using the longer rod, especially before first light when the striper opportunities are better. Also many of my local trips were also out on a sit on top kayak fly fishing for ling cod with T14 shooting heads and a ten wt 10' single hand rod over structure in 30 to 40' of water. Ling cod are awesome on this set up.

I will be using the 13' rod much more this year.

Barney

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.