Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to Rio Gallegos in March 2007. I have a single handed 10ft 8wt rod but which double hander would be best for fishing down there? I have heard the wind is strong so would a heavy rod be best or would a 12ft 8wt be enough? Any help or advice aboput rod and line type would be much appreciated form anyone who has fished there.

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
What I used, and was happy with, was a T&T 1409-5 with a 550 skagit line,combined with 300 grain and 400 grains Big Boy.s Also had a 8/9/10 WindCutter for type 6 and 8 tips - I used them all, but mostly the 300 grain BigBoy. If I go again, I will have a sage tcr 1283-4 with a 9/10/11 Windcutter. Bring your own flys. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
my group effectively used everything from a Gary Anderson "little guy" to 9 weights.we all use 2 handers.I usually primarily use a 13ft with a 550[8wght].never had to go any heavier than 13ft of t14.I now always[everywhere] use an intermediate sink 5ft cheater[the gray one].last yr a 5" fly with brass eyes was working very well for me.and I spent a lot of rotation time where a long cast was needed to hit the slot.and,the wind was worse than prior yrs.Therefore,I used a 9wght alot more.I.E.,I would take rods of 6-7,8,and 9.If you get a calm evening you then can do a change up and skate with a 6-7wght.My buddy's "little Guy" .a 6 wght ,I quess,caught a 19# one evening.Very sweet!!We fish the Rio Grande.Beau

·
Registered
327 Posts
some think the shorter rods are easier to handle in the horrific winds that can occur down there ...if you do not feel expert with a two hander, by all means take the single hand rods as well (I fished them on the rio grande) ...it is quite a place with any rod and a great experiience I thought.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A friend & I both used Sage 9141 & had no problems.Mostly used a Guidlines Power Taper Shooting Head ( 10/11 44 ' w/ 30 m of .034 running line) from Jack Cook ( Irish Angler ) along w/ Rio Multi- Tip Spey WF 10; w/ 250 , 300 , & Big boy tip ( river was high last year ).

A smaller wt rod would do well ........we didn't catch anything over 20 lbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.