Spey Pages banner

Double Blanks

1K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  mattzoid 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you are into DH rods, particularly Overhead styles look at this.

ctsfishing.com/index.htm

I think it's Bob Meiser's secret place. Cheers Bob, al least we know now, what the quality is. Too cog gear is CTS. Max

G
#3 ·
That little web site has some really difinitive information re Double handed overheads and how they rate against 9 footers. In real terms, from that set of figures, 9 footers are lolly sticks. How could you cast a 9 footer with a 1800gn load, thats a 4.3 ounce head, and the rod would be something like a AFTMA 30 weight. A 15# casts 1.2 ounces tops.
A 9#, regarded as the cream of the 9 foot crop throws about 240gns.
Cheers Max

#4 ·
Hi Max,

No secret there Max.

Stephen has been rolling DH tapers to our specific design callouts for almost two years now.

Credit to CTS and Stephen Pratt are my first words of mention on my website....Super company.

Could not have done our series without Stephen's engineering.

If you have specific design tapers in mind, he'll make them possible.

Meiz

#5 ·
Hey Bob,

I wouldn't even know what to ask for. That three piece, fifteen footer proto I got from you seems to fit the bill on overheading for me. I wouldn't even know what to change. Did it come from one of their blanks? As I stick with this rod and not work any others, I get better and better (at overheading). I'm really starting to like it too much and may forget traditional Spey casting all together.

#6 ·
Cool Matt,

Was wondering if that rod was doing the job for you.....Glad to hear it's working out.

That particular blank was a very early proto of the 5 and 6 pc 15s and 16s that we now have....Stephen and I did use it as a benchmark for these rods.

That 15' rod was at the 2003 Sandy Clave, and Flytyer was the first to cast it.

We do have only one more of these blanks here in the shop.... But remember I told you that if yours breaks, you'll get a new 5 pc version.

What lines/grains/belly length have you found work well on her for overhead ?

Meiz

#7 ·
Heeding your words about breaking it and knowing I wanted to use it for a lifetime of overheading this beautiful one of a kind rod, I’ve kept the grains down to 750 to 800 grains. 44 feet of mostly floating guideline head with 12 feet if intermediate and 8 to 12 feet of T-14. Some of the flies I’ve been using are coming in at 50 grains alone. This will get down pretty deep so the initial pull out of the water can be the most stressful on the blank and that is why I won’t go higher to a 1000 grains. Once she is up, the rod handles it very well and I’ve been using just slickshooter. Also, because I’m not going to the heavier head, it doesn’t matter how hard I stress it to the butt on the forward cast (this is where I‘ve broken rods before overheading). In other words, there is plenty of reserve for the forward stroke. The other aspect of this is it may not be realistic to go too high in grains on the head because I just can’t build them that heavy at 44 feet. Another thing that is really freaky about this rod and my 750 to 800 grain heads are the God like distances achieved with 15 lb mono running line. I am only limited to how much running line I can fit into a basket before the money shot. Distance isn’t my priority though. On the forward stroke I am only concerned about straight line path and constant acceleration to the stop point at the top of the cast. This allows an effortless 120 foot cast of a 3.5 gram fly that I can do all day.

For close quarter work, I’ve really perverted the Skagit cast into a short stroking throw with all this weight and sinking crap. I’ve always kind of short stroked my casts so with this faster, longer rod, it was a natural. It’s not quite an Ed Ward Skagit cast, but it will work the hell out of any river with my rocks I‘ve glued feathers to.

So that is where I’m at. This will all change when the Salmon start running again in the saltwater.

#8 ·
That's really cool stuff Matt...Thanks.

You are the only guy that I know of that is serious about this presentation style with the longer sticks on the West Coast.

After the Sandy Clave is over, I'll be able to offer 14', 15', and a 16' proto rods that are of the same family as your 15' for your field test and thoughts.

They really are different animals.

Aaron will bring them back with him from this event....Or hopefully I'll see you there.

I really appreciate the feed back on this Matt.

Meiz

#9 ·
A 16 footer with the same characteristics would be the shiz! I wish I could go to the Sandy, but I just don’t think it’s in the cards. I’d consider myself lucky if I were able to obtain a blank from this family. Would really like to try my hand at turning a rod one of these days. But if there happens to be a couple protos that no one wants when all is said and done, then I’d sure purchase the bigger brother to my 15 footer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.