Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents
I recently purchased a Windcutter Interchangeable Tip line and had a few questions on the line/setup.Looking at the Rio Site, they state that the box should include the main line(1), a 15' floating middle tip section (2) and a 15 foot front float section for surface presentations.(3) Also included are to be sink tips in intermediate(4), type III(5), type VI(6), and type VIII(7). In the wallet I find a sink tip compensator and 4 sink tips(int.,III,VI,VIII). There is also a sink tip compensator (8).

Am I missing a floating tip and a floating middle section or is the idea to just use the main line for floating work? I have (6) pieces. Should there be (8)?

Hope this isn't too confusing-if so I'll try to clarify. Thanks for any info.
slimbo

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The floating tip is attached to tip two which is attached to the main line.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it sound like I've got all the pieces? The int. sink compensator is used when using the sink tip heads, right? Or, can the tips be used without the compensator? Seems like if a sketch of the potential setups were included in the box, it would clear up alot of confusion. (at least in my case)
Thanks
slimbo

·
Registered
121 Posts
As I understand it

Your line comes ready to fish as a dry line, ( complete w/ floating tip on / attached ). Depending on the depth and or type of fishing you intend to accomplish, you can remove the last / floating tip only and replace it w/ the desired tip. As to the compensators, I have yet to use one and cannot comment w/ any confidence.

·
Favorite Cast: Inverted K
83 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I picked up a Midspey 6/7 the other week from a local fly shop. Opened the box on the way home and found the spool, little booklet, and a nice empty space where the line should be! Strange to say the least. I was lucky to get back before they closed. Can't imagine trying to explain the next day that 'there just wasn't any line there!'

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just play with the different heads.

My best experience was to try the different setups with different water. Fast deep pools, compensator and sink tips, slow water deep pools, floating mid section and sink tip, etc you'll get the idea after a few trys. Whack um but don't stack um.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts