Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, in their weekly news letter, Fly Fish USA showed a new Skagit Floater from Rio. Does anyone know anything about this line?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi David,

Don't really know about these lines.

<> But my guys have been using standard 15' WC grain matched floating tips looped to the standard Skagit's all Summer if full dry line work is desired, rather then sink tips.

...And they seem to work very well.

The shorter bellies of the Skagit's looped to a floating tip work perfectly for situations where the longer bellies of the WC and Mid-Speys (for example)become a line management burden for very confined front anchor placement under trees and dense bankside riparian.

Not really sure why one would want a full floating Skagit line with the above option already available <> But Rio must have had enough requests from anglers to justify a production of this line.

Perhaps they will do full sink Skagits as well to compeat with the Euro full sink / full float Scando style line systems

Interesting how the shooting head game is progressing.

Bob Meiser

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
i have fished one quite a bit on my 13'4" Solstice (the 7/8, 600 grains) and i was impressed with how smoothly it turned over (much more so then the standard rio skagit) as well as it now nicely it single speyed. just keep your leader length down if you are performing skagit casts as you will notice you will end up with too much stick if you fish a typical 15' leader (which I often fish when fishing a dryline on a two-handed rod).

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
just keep your leader length down if you are performing skagit casts as you will notice you will end up with too much stick if you fish a typical 15' leader (which I often fish when fishing a dryline on a two-handed rod).
Two concepts that make my head hurt when I try to think about them together. Skagit Casting, and "too much stick" :hihi:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert Meiser

Robert Meiser said:
Hi David,

Don't really know about these lines.

<> But my guys have been using standard 15' WC grain matched floating tips looped to the standard Skagit's all Summer if full dry line work is desired, rather then sink tips.

...And they seem to work very well.

The shorter bellies of the Skagit's looped to a floating tip work perfectly for situations where the longer bellies of the WC and Mid-Speys (for example)become a line management burden for very confined front anchor placement under trees and dense bankside riparian.

Not really sure why one would want a full floating Skagit line with the above option already available <> But Rio must have had enough requests from anglers to justify a production of this line.

Bob Meiser
Thanks to Sage's Chris Andersen (he spells his last name wrong), I started trying floating tips with my Skagit lines, a 15' leader and a couple of feet of tippet for the fly. I found exactly what you noted above re casting in really confined areas and areas with zero backcast room with my 5120. I used the 450 Skagit and my 6126 on a very windy day on a bass pond with tight casting quarters. That day, the other members of the local fly club were basically limited to short roll casts or dappling the fly. I was able to get out big flies with the leader, the 15' tip, the 27' head and 4 - 6 rod lengths of running line in areas a spin caster would have problems casting.

The Rio Outbound fast sink lines work great with your Switch Rods. Their 6 weight line and my 5/6 switch rod and their 8 weight with my 7/8 Switch Rod cast from my boat, border on the scary side re the laser casting and distance with an overhead cast with the power on the lower hand. The down side is you need a lot of room behind you to cast these lines. However, from a boat they will be great for in the spring for the smaller stripers and lake fishing in the late spring and summer when the trout are deep.

For the big striper season which is about ready to pop open, for me your 9/10 Switch rod with Rio's 350 grain 26' DC sinktip or Rio's Striper Versi Tip is the perfect combination. The 350 grain sinktip handles 80% of the water conditions, and the Versi tip handles the water where a lighter or heavier tip is needed.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ryan, re shorter leaders with the new Rio Floating Skagits

NrthFrk16 said:
i have fished one quite a bit on my 13'4" Solstice (the 7/8, 600 grains) and i was impressed with how smoothly it turned over (much more so then the standard rio skagit) as well as it now nicely it single speyed. just keep your leader length down if you are performing skagit casts as you will notice you will end up with too much stick if you fish a typical 15' leader (which I often fish when fishing a dryline on a two-handed rod).
How long are these "shorter" leaders?

When I have used a floating tip with my Skagit lines and my 5126 or 6126, there has been no problem using 15' leaders.

I have had to go to shorter leaders if I'm casting in an area with a lot of over hang of trees and brush, and it would be impossible to hold the rod straight up from a normal position to bring a fish in. My casts with the shorter leaders seem to be more jerky/herky with the fly and eliminates any soft landing with the fly and leader. The longer leaders seem to absorb the terminal energy of the cast better than the shorter leaders.

·
Banned
974 Posts
I saw that newsletter as well. I was wondering how the Rio line differs from the Vision Ace Shooting Head line (or other shooting head line) in practical, fishing terms?

David

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Dave Dornblaser: That was not a real eye opening article was it?

Dornblaser said:
I saw that newsletter as well. I was wondering how the Rio line differs from the Vision Ace Shooting Head line (or other shooting head line) in practical, fishing terms?

David
That was really a non descript article/section in that news letter. There was nothing about the grain weights and suggestions of where and how to use the new line besides areas with no real back cast situations.

Last but not least, there was no comparison to the current Rio Skagit lines which are about 1/3 less in cost.

Hopefully, Simon will let us know the differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts