Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I will be on my 3rd yr w/ the 2-handers next summer.

But anyway, I am a Hardy finatic and I am curious if anyone can tell me about the Hardy rods, specificly the 15' 10wt Salmon travel rod. Or any of the rods for that matter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hello one-eye

i have owned four hardy spey rods, all 15-16' long and designated 10 weights, including a deluxe salmon, two ultralights, and a salar.

the deluxe salmon was extreeeeeemely slow, soft, and was better suited for roll casting, as opposed to the grant style of switch casting. it definitely did not handle tips well, but i put it in with a bowl of linguini i had cooked on the river and it fit right in.

the ultralights were nice rods, balanced like many of the english rods i have cast a bit, i.e. head heavy. the action was progressive, and it was quite accurate, although it wasn't really all that "ultralight". i sold both to lastcaststeve (who quite liked them at that stage of his casting career), but he eventually blew them up and is still waiting on warranty service (not free, by any means).

the salar is a stiff midflexing, stiff tipped rod which casts heavy tips a country mile, and is far better a distance/heavy tip rod, being so stiff. i actually liked it the best for winter fishing than the other hardy's, and it is quite a bit less costly. as a price point rod, the reel seat is plastic, the cork mediocre, and the finish poor, but it's the only hardy i still own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HARDY RODS

Hello

I have now fished with my Hardy Travel 15`for two seasons and can not find any negative to say. It is a lovely rod!
Spey, snake roll overhead casts, you name it- the rod manages them all. Loaded with a ST line it will shoot to the horizont! It also gives great feeling when playing fish, totally unlike American rods which tend to be all to stiff, making them "pounding" when fish runs!
Highly recomendable as all Hardy tackle!

See my site about Salmonfishing in Norway:

Salmonfishing in Southern Norway

regards

Petter Emil Wikören, Kristiansand

1 - 3 of 3 Posts