Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Now I may be getting all geeky on this and I am sure you will tell me if I am but...

The airflo Skagit recommended for my hardy swift 14' #9 is a 600 grain airflo Skagit compact - my mate is lending me the same line but it's 570 grain so do I:-

A) thank him, use it as it won't make any appreciable difference at all to my casting

B) thank him, use it and then find I cast like a crippled cow on my only trip to skeena in my life

C) thank him, give it back and lash another £50 out for a 600 grain line I may only use on one trip?

All advice much appreciated

John

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Hi
Now I may be getting all geeky on this and I am sure you will tell me if I am but...

The airflo Skagit recommended for my hardy swift 14' #9 is a 600 grain airflo Skagit compact - my mate is lending me the same line but it's 570 grain so do I:-

A) thank him, use it as it won't make any appreciable difference at all to my casting

B) thank him, use it and then find I cast like a crippled cow on my only trip to skeena in my life

C) thank him, give it back and lash another £50 out for a 600 grain line I may only use on one trip?

All advice much appreciated

John
The current Rio Spey line recommendation chart (2016) for the Hardy Swift 14' #9 is either 550 grains for a Skagit head for an experienced caster, and 600 grains for a novice or less experienced caster.

So, 570 grains is right in the middle, and will be spot on for your purposes.

And no, 30 grains here or there should make no noticeable difference in casting for almost all casters. If someone thinks that 30 grains does make a noticeable difference to their casting, they are probably suffering from OCD rather than the wrong grainage.

It should be noted that 30 grains in a 600 grain head is actually only 5%, which also happens to be within the manufacturer accepted tolerance of line/head production, so that, straight out of the box, a '600' grain line may actually weigh anywhere between 570 and 630 grains and still be an acceptable (as far as the manufacturer is concerned) 'grain range' that you have been sold. ;)

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
It will give you a chance to see how you like it...and how close you are to "expert" specs! :razz:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is why I love this forum
Guys, you've just saved me £50'and for that I salute you!
I thought I'd be fine but it's great to get confirmation
Thanks a lot
John

·
Registered
533 Posts
What Else?

What are you taking for a back-up rod?

I am guessing you will be on with the 570 for your rod. What if the tip breaks or the butt section finds a rental car door...or???

I would find a nice 2nd on the trip of a lifetime...Just because!

BB~

·
Registered
371 Posts
What are you taking for a back-up rod?

I am guessing you will be on with the 570 for your rod. What if the tip breaks or the butt section finds a rental car door...or???

I would find a nice 2nd on the trip of a lifetime...Just because!

BB~

I agree with Bruce. Even if its a used rod off the classifieds, I would take a second. Because a second rod that you don't cast well, is better than having 1 broken rod you can't cast at all.

Most rivers I fish are within a 3-4 hour drive from my house. But I take at least 3 rods with me every time. A walk to the truck beats a wasted day of not fishing.

Avio

Reactions: JJofCBL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good advice thanks for that.
I am taking 3 rods in all but each one is a bit different:-
14 ft #9 hardy swift
12 ft #8 hardy gem
13 ft 4' #6/7 cnd solstice
Breaking a rod is one thing, but I am laying an egg at the thought of meeting a bear at the Tseax river!
Hahaha
John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts