Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, since i've gotten into spey casting 3 years ago I have acumulated 6 rods! I fish for steelhead here in OR and use a driftboat. I like to rig my spey rods with different tips so I can quickly switch rods for different situations, like one with a type 3 for heads of pools and a rod rigged with a skagit 650 and a 12' t14 tip for the middle etc.

I was wondering if anybody else did this and how you rigged up. knd of like reaching for a different golf club!:hihi:

take care,
chris

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, IF I am fishing using a boat. Often I'll set up one rod with a Skagit/short head and one rod with a long belly more so than rods with different tips. Tips are generally close in length and density, regardless of belly length, and easy to change relative to a line swap. With two rods set up with different lines it allows me to fish holding water influenced by terrain, vegitation, wind and fly selection.
Chris

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Yes, if I'm not walking a river bank.

Etacata said:
Hi, since i've gotten into spey casting 3 years ago I have acumulated 6 rods! I fish for steelhead here in OR and use a driftboat. I like to rig my spey rods with different tips so I can quickly switch rods for different situations, like one with a type 3 for heads of pools and a rod rigged with a skagit 650 and a 12' t14 tip for the middle etc.

I was wondering if anybody else did this and how you rigged up. knd of like reaching for a different golf club!:hihi:

take care,
chris
A couple of years ago, my wife gave me for Christmas, the Magnetic rod carriers. I use them on rivers and streams where I don't walk a lot or can't. I will keep the rods on the carriers as they are out of harms way until I need to change them. They are great for driving a short distance to the next fishing area. The rods stay fully strung with a fly and are ready to go. I really like the rod carriers on the coast, and I usually have two rods strung up.

Fishing streams and rivers, I will string up one rod for dry line action or intermediate and another for sink tip action. Bob Pauli and I look like a two man Spey Clave with the different rods strung up on the vehicle, leaning against the vehicle and in our hands.

In my boat or my son's boat, I become basically a one rod guy. If we are fishing in a lake or river for trout or bass, I have one of Meiser's Switch rods strung up. Most of this fishing requires a long sinking builtin head or changeable tips. When I'm striper fishing, I use one rod, Meiser's 9/10 Switch rod. My son in his boat or mine looks like a Rod Pro, and will have at least 3 rods strung up and sometimes more. When he wades the river or streams, he is basically a one rod guy with the interchangeable tips.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
in the boat I often bring up to 5 or 6 speys and a single hander with visions of using most of them. Then, at the first holding water du jour, I will rig up a rod - always a spey - and then usually fish that same rod all day.

Though I know different runs are optimized using different tackle, my long bellies fish just fine in close, and my skagits fish just fine far out. It takes a seriously extreme run, or boredom, to rig up another rod.

·
Registered
79 Posts
storing double-handers in boat

Any suggestions on how to store a two-hander during a float?

Seems like my rod is just screaming to be broken every time I take it out- not in a boat just bank fishing? I have been fly fishing since I can remeber and never had any trouble with breaking rods, but it seems like the length of the two-handers make them real easy to hurt. No problems yet, but I can just imagine having a couple strung-up in a drift boat:(

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
If using the boat I will usually have two rods strung up. It used to be one with a type 6 and one with a type 3 tip. Of late it is a Skagit set-up and a long bellied setup. The exception to teh two rod is summer floats and then I usually will only string one (with a long bellied full floater) but I usually bring a back-up just in case.

Regarding storage, I carry mine sticking at a 45 degree angle out the back of the boat. An aluminum section of angle(iron) screwed on the floor keeps the butts from sliding and a foam and bungie covered bar against the back deck keeps them steady in all but high winds. This set-up will carry 5 rods without too much problem.

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
I normally take two or three rods to the river. Depending on the water condition. On summer fishing I typically have one rod with a floating line, one with a sinktip and one with a full sinker. On spring fishing I will typically bring two rods, one with a full sinker, and another with a full sinker of different density.

When fishing for a week or more at one river I often ends up with 4 or 5 rods rigged on the rod holder on my car. And sometimes a few of them are rigged with the same line setup, just because it's nice with a little variation on the rods when fishing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Grampa's suggestiong of carrying them on a car top is good if you trust folks that are driving by - I always worry about leaving a rod behind if I have to go too far - the North Umpqua comes to mind - I have been ripped off once and a good friend of mine has also had his vehicle broken into - I car top my rods on that river when driving but always put them in the back locked and just take one rod to the run I am fishing.

Velcro straps work very well if you want to carry muptiple rods in a boat and don't want them totally rigged. You can rig a 4 piece and break it in half with velcro straps to keep it more out of the way

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rick J said:
Grampa's suggestiong of carrying them on a car top is good if you trust folks that are driving by - I always worry about leaving a rod behind if I have to go too far - the North Umpqua comes to mind - I have been ripped off once and a good friend of mine has also had his vehicle broken into - I car top my rods on that river when driving but always put them in the back locked and just take one rod to the run I am fishing.

Velcro straps work very well if you want to carry muptiple rods in a boat and don't want them totally rigged. You can rig a 4 piece and break it in half with velcro straps to keep it more out of the way
Like GS and Rick I use mag. rod holders; actually have two sets. One will hold up to six rods, the other is more of a two rod-single mag holder. I'll normally have at least three rods set up on a trip. One will have a full floater, one a 10' T-14 the other a type 6 or type 8 15 footer.

I'll carry all three rods, save for the situation where the car is in sight on the beach. When not, the rod holders go back into the car ... what the heck ... attaching/detaching takes less than 60 seconds. "Trust, but verify.":devil:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Glad to hear that you now use the magnetic rod holders

fredaevans said:
Like GS and Rick I use mag. rod holders; actually have two sets. One will hold up to six rods, the other is more of a two rod-single mag holder. I'll normally have at least three rods set up on a trip. One will have a full floater, one a 10' T-14 the other a type 6 or type 8 15 footer.

I'll carry all three rods, save for the situation where the car is in sight on the beach. When not, the rod holders go back into the car ... what the heck ... attaching/detaching takes less than 60 seconds. "Trust, but verify.":devil:
I remember a semi terror filled ride :eek: behind your old Explorer with Bob Meiser with a few of my rods strapped on the luggage rack on the top of your Explorer with elastic velco straps.

Bob keep looking at me and saying. :eek: "I hope that those straps work as we followed you over highways and bumpy roads.":Eyecrazy:

They held, and I don't know who was more relieved, Bob or I. :eek: I have to admit you put those rods on the rack and secured them very quickly and easily with those straps.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I bring 2 rods on most trips. One to fish and the second in case I break the first. With the ease of changing tips I see no need to string up more then one rod.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Same, same...

as Kerry. I usually pick one rod to fish, then bring another as a spare in case "something happens". If I need to make an adjustment for fishing I just change tips.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not to worry!

Those short 'bungie cords' with the balls cost a whole 89 cents each at Big R. With the rods laying flat, and a double loop over the ball, rods didn't even 'wiggle' at highway speeds.

The only 'secret' is you have to have a LONG FLAT roof line so the Bungies are as far apart as possible to keep the rod tips from flopping around (not a good thing!:saevilw: ) As an example of this, the old Explorer was good to go ... the Jeep Liberty ... wouldn't consider doing it on a bet.:tsk_tsk:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts