Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I’m looking for a breast cancer support group for men. I have tried several times to contact people regarding two handing for Trout and Cutthroat. If you click search, below my post, you will see the progression I have made regarding this issue. Now I just want to see if anyone even has the rod. I figure all three of us can get together and start our own Ultra Lite Spey Page. But really, I am just wondering if anyone else is doing what I’m doing or have I lost my Frickin’ marbles.

Matt

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes you have Matt, out here in GLs country I have not seen any, heck I want to be the first maybe like you are in Washington.

PM OUt

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
You are sane Matt. I don't have one yet but I would be willing to bet one is somewhere down the road in my quiver. I only fish large trout rivers once a year on a 4 day float every May on the Deschutes. This would be where I think the 5120 would really shine. I spent some time with it at the Fall City clave and decided then it would go on the wish list. Got a couple of CND rods ahead of it but I will get there :cool:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I feel better now, more potential 5120 culters are appearing. Since the I'm in Love thread was started by me on Jan 11th they have been calling me a fly fishing "nut cake" talking silly about some new 12 foot 5 weight spey trout rod.

Hey we are probably the visionaries, that can see fly fishing trends before they are trends.

Keep those on the water reports coming Matt !

PM Out

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Sane

There may be one in my future, but Like sinktip, it is after a CND or two. There are a number of places that I would like to try one.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Unless T&T comes out with a 5wt. 12 ft 2-hander, there is probably one in my future too. There are places in Montana where it would be ideal that I'd like to take it to, and there is some nice water on the Yakima that it would fish well. It has to wait until I get a couple more T&T's for myself, a T&T for my wife, and a 2-hander for my 11 1/2 year old though.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Flytyer is right on!

Last week I spent half an hour casting this puppy. I congratulate Sage on the concept, but the rod lacks...huevos.

Within a couple of years Sage will get this right, like the 7141, but until then have u made love to a T&T 1307?

IMHO/.02/mea culpa

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You just don't need big stones for trout. I've tried 7 wts. and even have one, but they're just not light enough for small fish. Even my 12 foot Loops aren't light/soft/slow enough. With the bigger wt. rods, I'm afraid I'll straighten out a #16 hook or tear the jaw off some poor unsuspecting rainbow. You just can't play 'em with a 4x4 fence post.

Matt

·
Registered
169 Posts
For the streams I fish.....

For the smaller streams here in NY, I use a 11 1/2' 6 wt. Yes, it does cast stoneflies, and yes, it does handle steelies and lake-run browns.

I use it mainly for indi fishing with weighted nymphs, and the mending control is superb. It has enough backbone so I can pressure the bigger fish, and I can usually play 'em at "1 minute per pound", which is the old standard for playing a fish properly for C&R.

But most of our streams are small enough, so that most of the time, for dry fly fishing, anything much over a 9 foot one hander would be overkill. (Strangely, I have even "overhead cast" the 6-wt., and well, on a couple of larger rivers with dry flies on occasion!)

You west coast guys have a nice selection of larger rivers. If I lived out there, I would think that a 12 foot 5 weight would be a nice rod to have in the arsenal for trout.

Hope you have a lot of fun with the 5 wt. rod - I know I am happy with my 6 wt., as it fills my purpose nicely.

BobK

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
BobK,

I own and love the 1307 T&T but it is severe overkill for trout. The Sage does strike one as lacking cahones until you remember that it is a 5 weight. I am sure people will use it for summer runs but I see it as a trout rod only. Yes you can fight and land a steelhead on a 5 weight, heck I have done it on my 3, but it is not what it is designed for and not good for the fish.

Flytyer,

I too am waiting to see if T&T or CND come out with a 5 weight.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Re: Flytyer is right on!

Our sponsor CND builds a 13' 6wt Expert ($265) and 13' 7wt Custom ($365) as described on the product page. The 6wt is more of a trout / half-pounder rod; the 7wt is a good light yet powerful average sized summer steelhead rod.

I know we're talking trout here but since the lines have already been blurred ;) for summer steelhead I feel the 7wt rods are the minimum for the sake of the fish. Summer flows have reduced O2 and it's easier to stress the fish out. The 1307SP has a very light touch yet lots of reserve power, just load the blank a little deeper down and let it fly.

I like the 1308 Expert and 1308SP Custom 8wt rods for summer runs especially in bigger rivers with bigger fish or to handle tips with authority. It's best to minimize the time the fish is on the line, and it's nice to have a little more power to cover bigger rivers, flies, tips, etc sometimes. I hope to meet another 17 pound chromer summer buck, but this time on the 1308SP ;)

These 4 (and other) CND rods will be available for test casting at the Skagit Clave this weekend, the Great Lakes Clave this weekend (minus the 6wt), the Sandy River Clave, or generally available to check out from dealers over time.

If you don't see them at your favorite flyshop, and would like to - just drop me a line.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just can't imagine actually targeting summer run Chrome with my precious 5120. I've got 7 and 8wt Loops and Logics for that. I'm going to be all over the Hoh this summer and my usual haunts.

By the way, I think I'll hit Howard Stern Park this Sat. and check out that cnd 6 wt.

Matt

·
Registered
459 Posts
Juro stated:

Our sponsor CND builds a 13' 6wt Expert ($265) and 13' 7wt Custom ($365) as described on the product page. The 6wt is more of a trout / half-pounder rod; the 7wt is a good light yet powerful average sized summer steelhead rod.
I don't know if I should now show up on Sunday at the Michigan Clave I can feel a new light spey rod love potentially starting !

Imagine the threads that could be started discussing this !

PM Out

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Juro and others who own or know about the 13' 6/7 3 CND-1306

What does the CND 6/7 rod weigh, and what lines work on it?

I have the Mid Spey 6/7 and the Wind Cutter 6/7/8, so will these lines work on it.

Has anyone used the CND 13' 6/7 fishing while in a raft craft like the Hobie Cat or the Steelheader? I wonder if a 13' rod like the CND is too long to land a good size trout while in a pontoon boat?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Lines for CNF1306

Grandpa Look at Dana's CND rod evaluation on the Speypages, http://speypages.com/speypages.htm
He recommends the Midspey 6/7.

Other than needing a net, I don't think the two handed rod will be much more difficult in a tube or cat than a 10', which many use.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
t_richerzhagen re lines for the CNF 1306

Thanks for the reference.

Looks like I have this rod well covered with my MS 6/7 and WC 678.

I also have a lot of 6 weight steelhead and trout lines and the Aero Flow 6 weight with the changeble tips.

I definitely will be buying one of these babies for trout fishing and maybe the smaller steelhead on the Yuba and the half pounders and blue backs on the American River. It should be a blast on the Rogue for half pounders and the Deschutes for redsides out of reach with a one handed 6 weight.

I have a wooden long handled canoe/float net and it works well with 10 to 12 foot rods in the raft type floaters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
eek!

Matt-
Howard Stern Park? Just for clarification's sake I know it was an honest mistake, we in the NW (others may not) know you meant Howard Miller Steelhead park. Scary to think, radio shock-jock host, tweak-meister Stern with a playground named after him and a fish. Yeow. :tsk_tsk: :hehe:

ADP <")))><

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do most of my writing when I get off work (after 11pm) and thought it was funny. Now that the sun is up, I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I can't imagine him being anywhere near a body of water. Going to throw on new rotors and pads today so I can hit the clave tomorrow. I'll have my 5120 with the trout rig set up. Hope I don't get run off the river.

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
reel for the 5120

i have tried the 5120 and i'm somewhat anamored with it.although the advantages in the west are odvious,it seems to make sense in the larger northeast rivers which are heavy with brush on the banks. any recommendations on reels. i have an orvis wide arbor 5wt, but i' m not sure that it will accomodate a rio interchangeable tip system 5/6 wt windcutter. ditto for my sci angler system 2 6/7wt. my system 2 7/8 probably has the capacity but may be too heavy. comments and recommendations?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts