Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the idea I just encountered of graduated sink tips -- in essence, scandi line tips based on sections of intermediate and progressively heavier sink rate segments. The Euro folk have developed this wrinkle to create a straighter line connection to the fly by avoiding an abrupt 'hinge' between the floating fly line and heavy sink tip. The putative benefits include more efficient line pickup.

Seems to be doable on a DIY basis. A compulsive putterer, I already have Intermediate and lots of Z8 to Z14 sink materials and shrink tubes to do the end loops and seamless joinery.

Has anyone else tried this out?

Or better yet are there commercial graduated sink tips already around this side of the Pond that I don't know about?

Thanks for inputs.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,478 Posts
I have not used them but Loop has the Multi-density SDS tips. I think this is what your talking about. I remember Klaus Frimor talking about a scandi line he was developing that was density compensated so it would in essence be a straight line from the rod tip to the fly. He claimed that as well as being a great sinking fishing line for depth it would be easier to lift for the cast as well since it would pull straight up and back without too much issue. I don't know what became of this project or if it's now available but it sure sounds good.

Dan

·
Registered
907 Posts
X2 on what WW said. The Scientific Anglers tips are pretty slick if they meet your length-weight needs. Definitely worth a look.

·
Fishes with Wolves
393 Posts
I don't think there is as severe a "hinge" as what some folks are thinking. At least with the setups I use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts