Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new 2-sided boat box for steelhead flies and decided to do away with my multitude of articulated fly boxes (which I love, but just wanted to combine) and came up with a solution for streamers and articulated flies that have a trailing hook. There is nothing worse than trying to put articulated flies in a regular slotted box and having them flop all over the place.

One side of my slotted boat box is now dedicated to articulated flies. I did this by simply buying #1 paper clips with a smooth finish (the small ones) and used a pliers and cutter to create little drop-in hooks that are easy to bend and cut, are super cheap and drops right into any existing slotted boxes like cliff etc. to create a custom articulated holder.

I spaced out my 'hooks' into 3 rows. The first two rows are a simple one-bend and one cut. The 3rd row is closet to the side-wall, so I had to make two bends and one cut. Alternate the paper clip positioning in each row and you have an easy diy articulated holder! The paper clips are slim enough for almost all hook eyes, and keeping them intact and pushing the whole thing in the slotted foam adds some rigidity to the holder.

Although I love some of my brand name articulated boxes, this is a simple and easy way to create an articulated holder for any slotted fly box for less than 2 bucks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Necessity the mother of invention...great tip and work

Reactions: greenwater1

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I love it! What box is that in the pic? I need to get a decent box

Reactions: greenwater1

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love it! What box is that in the pic? I need to get a decent box
Hey Yooper-Fly-

The boxes I have are from Feather-Craft. I have searched far and wide for a good clear, two-sided waterproof boat box and they are the only ones I have found that nailed it! It's called the FEATHER-CRAFT DELUXE WATERPROOF BOAT BOX $35 11 3/4" x 8 1/2" x 2".

I think Umpqua used to make something similar, but this is the best I have found. It's a large box and will easily hold 100+ streamers or articulated flies!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn it I thought I could get the whole box for $2 you bursted my happy bubble man!!

HAHA!!! Sorry to get your hopes up brother! I thought the "DIY" title would have given it away, but you too can make any slotted box you CURRENTLY HAVE an articulated bug box for under $2 :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts